This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Two issues...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ddanf
Registered Member

Two issues...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:33 am
So I upgraded the other day and found two small things I can't figure out.

First is how do I customize Places in the K Menu? Under the Computer heading, I have a place there that I didn't add and I can't figure out how to remove it and add ones I want to use. I tried using Dolphin but the place in the K menu doesn't show up in Dolphin?

Second is Clementine's tray icon is AWOL. There's some generic media thing in its place and it is terrible (I use more then pause, track forward/back.) How can I get the old Clementine tray icon back?
google01103
Manager

Re: Two issues...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am
try running
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental  2> /dev/null

also with KDE not running try deleting the KDE cache files ~/var/tmp/kdecache-username & /tmp/kde-username

Places are found in ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel if you try manually editing it you should both backitup and close Dolphin afaik Dolphin is how Places is edited

Clementine tray icon is fine for me

ps - sometimes it help to know what you upgraded from & to

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ddanf
Registered Member

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:42 pm
I upgraded from 4.14.3.

I was able to remove the bookmark that I couldn't figure out how to remove through the interface.

New Places are supposed to be added through Dolphin, correct?

The thing I miss about Clementine is right-clicking the tray icon popped up a menu of half dozen different options, ones that I used. Doesn't work the the generic tray icon which is why I'm trying to restore the old one that worked!
google01103
Manager

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:07 pm
ddanf wrote:I upgraded from 4.14.3.!

upp'ed to ?? distro and KDE versions

ddanf wrote:New Places are supposed to be added through Dolphin, correct? !

yes

ddanf wrote:The thing I miss about Clementine is right-clicking the tray icon popped up a menu of half dozen different options, ones that I used. Doesn't work the the generic tray icon which is why I'm trying to restore the old one that worked!

did you try the things I suggested, the icon works and shows fine for me

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ddanf
Registered Member

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:06 am
google01103 wrote:

upp'ed to ?? distro and KDE versions

Sorry replied when still half asleep! ;) gentoo, upgraded to 5.5.5.

google01103 wrote:

ddanf wrote:New Places are supposed to be added through Dolphin, correct? !

yes

Hmm, it's not doing that for me. If I add a place it shows in Dolphin but not in the K menu. Likewise, what was in the K menu wasn't showing in Dolphin.

google01103 wrote:

did you try the things I suggested, the icon works and shows fine for me

Yes I did, made no difference. I get a Play symbol applet/widget/whatevertheycallitnow that does control Clementine, but it only offers play/pause and track prev/next. I used other ones on the right-click menu for the Clementine standard tray.
ddanf
Registered Member

Re: Two issues...  Topic is solved

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 am
Well, dang. I installed the package dev-libs/sni-qt and the Clementine icon works again.

I still can't figure out why Dolphin isn't setting the places properly though.

In my ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel file I see the four entries that are now in the K menu but Dolphin isn't changing this file. Dolphin seems to be changing ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml - I am going to guess Dolphin needs to be updated to a newer version.

Edit: yes, the version of Dolphin I have installed is 4.14.3. I see that 15.12.3 is available but masked, I'll unmask it and build it.

Thanks for the help!