This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adding widgets/plasmoids for all users [Plasma 5.5]

Tags: plasma, plasmoids, systemwide plasma, plasmoids, systemwide plasma, plasmoids, systemwide
(comma "," separated)
chrisvanrun
Registered Member
OS
Dear all,

What is the best way of adding widgets/plasmoids to the desktop (or "Desktop" activity) for all users?

I know of one way which involves adding it to your the current user's desktop and copying over the relevant home-folder configuration files:
~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

to
/etc/skel/.config/

This solution is far from perfect if I take into account I'll likely want to change or add widgets/plasmoids in the future. The only way I see this happening with /etc/skel files is by forcefully remove all user's configuration. This will likely result in users ignoring the great customisation options in kubuntu since it gets reset very often.

I have been experimenting with usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/layout.js and js files in the updates folders but got stuck pretty quick due to lack of documentation (e.g.. where is it logged or which calls are possible). :'(

Any help or directions towards documentations would be very much appreciated! o)

Found references: