This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

systemsettings modules

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
glupie
Registered Member
OS

systemsettings modules

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:17 am
In KDE4, I disabled the much-hated "drag and drop" by patching kcontrol/input/mouse.cpp in kde-workspace-4.11.n.tar.xz (setting dragStartDist to 1000 pixels).

So far, I haven't been able to locate where this parameters is set in KDE5 (the whole structure has obviously changed quite a bit), and this has already caused me massive problems.

Can someone point out what file contains this information now?

Thank you in advance.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Re: systemsettings modules

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:29 pm
Why patch the code?
Just change the corresponding value in the config file, ~/.config/kdeglobals.

To set the system-wide default, do it in /etc/xdg/kdeglobals.
glupie
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 pm
wolfi323 wrote:Why patch the code?
Just change the corresponding value in the config file, ~/.config/kdeglobals.

To set the system-wide default, do it in /etc/xdg/kdeglobals.

I guess the biggest reason is that the method you describe simply doesn't work - any value above 20 for StartDragDist (as it is called now), is simply truncated to 20 (FAR too low for me).
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Re: systemsettings modules  Topic is solved

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:09 pm
glupie wrote:I guess the biggest reason is that the method you describe simply doesn't work - any value above 20 for StartDragDist (as it is called now), is simply truncated to 20 (FAR too low for me).

Well, I didn't know that.
Maybe file a bug report/feature request at http://bugs.kde.org/ then? (either to increase the maximum StartDragDist, or to add an option to disable drag completely)

The code is in plasma-desktop now though, kcms/input/mouse.cpp is probably what you are looking for.

Though on a quick look, I see nothing that "truncates" the value from the config file in there.
The config module has a maximum of 20 though, so if you set it higher, the settings would show 20 I suppose.
If it's truncated somewhere else (when applying the settings on login), patching the config module won't help either I think...
glupie
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 am
wolfi323 wrote:The code is in plasma-desktop now though, kcms/input/mouse.cpp is probably what you are looking for.

Though on a quick look, I see nothing that "truncates" the value from the config file in there.
The config module has a maximum of 20 though, so if you set it higher, the settings would show 20 I suppose.
If it's truncated somewhere else (when applying the settings on login), patching the config module won't help either I think...

The minimum and maximum values are in plasma-desktop-5.7.5/kcms/input/mouse.cpp

Just changed these two lines:

dragStartDist = new KIntNumInput(20, advancedTab);
dragStartDist->setRange(1, 20, 1);

Then recompiled, and it works (or I should say drag and drop now "doesn't work") perfectly. :)