This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to make QT and KDE 3 follow 4's color scheme?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yabolus
Registered Member
I applied my own color scheme to KDE4 in control panel. Curiously, only GTK apps followed. QT4 and KDE 3 apps still have the default scheme (didn't test with QT3). How can I make them follow my color profile? Alternatively, how can I modify QT and KDE 3 color profiles from KDE4?

yabolus, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
When GTK follows it i assume you have configured it in systemsettings to apply KDE4 colors. But Qt4 and KDE3 have their own way off applying colors.
Qt4 uses qtconfig (from Qt4), and KDE3 needs to be setup in the old kcontrol, i guess.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
yabolus
Registered Member
But qtconfig only says: "Pleas use the KDE Control Center to set the palette." Needless to say, there's nothing to set QT colors in control center.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Sorry, didn't used it for a long time, tried it now, and the KDE4 colors are applied to Qt4, though not to KDE3. There still counts kcontrol.

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Ah, now i see the problem. Normally the colors from KDE4 are applied to Qt4. But if i change the GUI Style inside qtconfig, the standard palette gets applied to Qt4 somehow. And from there it doesn't apply the colors from KDE4 anymore.
Try to backup all Trolltech files and dirs in ~/.local, and the problem should be solved.

Communicate.
yabolus
Registered Member
It's getting more and more funny: the KDE 3 control panel is empty. My only guess is that it needs one of theese packages (from kdebsae):

Code: Select all
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/ksplashml-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug -xinerama"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kwin-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility xcomposite -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kreadconfig-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kcheckpass-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility pam -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/ksmserver-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kpersonalizer-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdepasswd-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/ksysguard-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility lm_sensors -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kxkb-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kmenuedit-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/ktip-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kscreensaver-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility opengl -arts -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/knetattach-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kpager-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kate-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/ksystraycmd-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kappfinder-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/klipper-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/konsole-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdcop-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kstart-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/nsplugins-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebugdialog-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/drkonqi-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility -debug"
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.10  USE="kdehiddenvisibility xscreensaver -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdm-3.5.10 [4.1.3] USE="kdehiddenvisibility pam -debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r4 [4.1.3] USE="-debug"
[ebuild  NS   ] kde-base/kdebase-meta-3.5.10 [4.1.3]
If so, which one?

And what can be the cause of QT4 not following the KDE's color scheme?[hr]
neverendingo wrote:Ah, now i see the problem. Normally the colors from KDE4 are applied to Qt4. But if i change the GUI Style inside qtconfig, the standard palette gets applied to Qt4 somehow. And from there it doesn't apply the colors from KDE4 anymore.
Try to backup all Trolltech files and dirs in ~/.local, and the problem should be solved.

I looked through the .local folder and there aren't any files with "trolltech" or "qt" in their name. There's only one subfolder 'share', and inside: 'applications', 'desktop-directories', 'icons', 'mime' and 'Trash'.

Last edited by yabolus on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
yabolus wrote:But qtconfig only says: "Pleas use the KDE Control Center to set the palette." Needless to say, there's nothing to set QT colors in control center.

So how much "off" are they? For me, they mostly obey the KDE-settings for colors. The one exception I can think of is the highlight-color for the menus. In my color-scheme that should be green, which it is in KDE4 and gtk-apps. In qt-apps it's blue for some reason.

But I would love to be able to get qt-apps to obey the widget-theme...some qt4 apps look really out of place because of that.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
yabolus wrote:I looked through the .local folder and there aren't any files with "trolltech" or "qt" in their name. There's only one subfolder 'share', and inside: 'applications', 'desktop-directories', 'icons', 'mime' and 'Trash'.

Today is not my day... i meant .config in your home dir... now i go off...

Communicate.
yabolus
Registered Member
Kryten2X4B wrote:
yabolus wrote:But qtconfig only says: "Pleas use the KDE Control Center to set the palette." Needless to say, there's nothing to set QT colors in control center.

So how much "off" are they? For me, they mostly obey the KDE-settings for colors. The one exception I can think of is the highlight-color for the menus. In my color-scheme that should be green, which it is in KDE4 and gtk-apps. In qt-apps it's blue for some reason.

But I would love to be able to get qt-apps to obey the widget-theme...some qt4 apps look really out of place because of that.

It stays the same no matter what color scheme I use in KDE4. here: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3320/qtia5.png you can compare it to dolphin with the default oxygen theme.[hr]
neverendingo wrote:
yabolus wrote:I looked through the .local folder and there aren't any files with "trolltech" or "qt" in their name. There's only one subfolder 'share', and inside: 'applications', 'desktop-directories', 'icons', 'mime' and 'Trash'.

Today is not my day... i meant .config in your home dir... now i go off...

Removing the Trolltech folder and Trolltech.conf file didn't help ;(

Last edited by yabolus on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cipper
Registered Member
The only way as now is to do the following:

look at the .kde/share/config/kdeglobals file from the kde3 installation and go to the General section, it shoul look like this:

[General]
BrowserApplication[$e]=!/home/rob/Apps/firefox/firefox
fixed=Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
font=Arial,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
taskbarFont=Arial,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
toolBarFont=Arial,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
menuFont=Arial,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
XftAntialias=true
XftHintStyle=hintfull
XftSubPixel=rgb
alternateBackground=21,24,29
background=59,59,59
buttonBackground=71,82,99
buttonForeground=255,193,59
foreground=255,255,255
linkColor=45,126,255
selectBackground=94,113,136
selectForeground=255,255,255
shadeSortColumn=true
visitedLinkColor=255,172,172
widgetStyle=qtcurve
windowBackground=21,21,21
windowForeground=255,255,255

now copy all these lines except the the first six lines to the [General] section of the .kde4/share/config/kdeglobals.

That's all.
Hawkmoon
Registered Member
OS
Here is a little script I wrote which will make KDE3 apps obey changes made under KDE4's color settings. It should be run after you have applied your new color settings.
Please report any errors if you find any. And read the instructions at the top of the script first. (Use at your own risk, etc..)

http://datasupporten.se/projects/script ... lor4to3.rb

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
As an FYI, pure Qt4 apps take KDE's color scheme as long as you are using Qt 4.5.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
yabolus
Registered Member
Actually I solved the qt4 problem a while ago by removing ~/.kde -> ~/.kde3.5 symlink.

Hawkmoon: I'll try this, thanks ;)

daihard
Registered Member
OS
I found this thread while googling for info on this topic. I have KDE 4.4 on Kubuntu 10.04. It comes with kdbg (KDE front-end for gdb), which is built with KDE 3.5. I tried to follow your advice on copying entries from .kde/share/config/kdeglobals to .kde4/..., but I have no ~/.kde4 subdirectory. Even though the KDE I have is 4.4, I only have ~/.kde.

May I ask what I should do to let kdbg follow the KDE 4 colour configuration in this case?

Thanks,
Dai

Kubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) 64-bit / KDE 4.8.1
Work: Dell Precision T5500 (Xeon E5506 @ 2.13 GHz x 2 / 12GB RAM)
Home: Panasonic Toughbook W8 (Core 2 Duo @ 1.20 GHz / 4GB RAM)
Hawkmoon
Registered Member
OS
daihard wrote:I found this thread while googling for info on this topic. I have KDE 4.4 on Kubuntu 10.04. It comes with kdbg (KDE front-end for gdb), which is built with KDE 3.5. I tried to follow your advice on copying entries from .kde/share/config/kdeglobals to .kde4/..., but I have no ~/.kde4 subdirectory. Even though the KDE I have is 4.4, I only have ~/.kde.

May I ask what I should do to let kdbg follow the KDE 4 colour configuration in this case?

Thanks,
Dai

Ubuntu uses the same directory for kde3 and 4, so you should edit .kde/share/config/kdeglobals
If you want, you can try the script I linked to in my last post. I tried it just now and it still works (under Ubuntu 10.10 and KDE 4.5).