This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

splash screen image shrunk and seeing graphic's memory fluf

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gregw
Registered Member
Hello,

Hope this is the correct spot for this type of question.

I'm not sure what to call this phase of the desktop initialization so:

after the system is booted into graphics mode, after you enter username and password, the screen clears, and as it is loading your desktop along the bottom icons appear as various services are initialized.

I replaced the image in an effort to 'brand' the OS for the company. But things look strange since that effort. I tried a few ways, making a fresh image from scratch using the dimensions and file type of the original, when that didn't work I took the original, opened it in P.S, copied and pasted my content into it, saved it. same result.

Using the same image, soon as the desktop loads everything looks normal.

Could anyone guess why this may be happening? Thanks for your help.

In the below image the green line is around the real image, which in this case is black (as used).

using nvidia quadro on CentoOS7.2.

edit: forgot to add, in between efforts I would blow away the dot files in the user directory I was testing with. rm -f ~greg/.??* to ensure cached data wasn't getting in the way.
Rog131
Registered Member
Hi !

Please, help us to help you.

The KDE Forums is a multi distribution forum. Distribution names tell something to the distribution users. So tell what kind of system do you have.

Qt version ?
KDE/Plasma version ?
KDE Frameworks version ?

KInfoCenter is a useful tool: https://www.kde.org/applications/system/kinfocenter/

About KDE splash

After the login screen there is a KDE splash. It is optional and can be disabled from the KDE settings.

Login screen -> Splash -> KDE plasma desktop.

How and what to change in the splash is depending the KDE/Plasma version.
Earlier: Is possible add other splash screen & change start icon? - viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125293
gregw
Registered Member
Kinfo center didn't appear to have any of the requested information Rog, below hopefully has the info you seek within.

Just to be clear, I'm not after how to change it via desktop methods. This is an auto deployment environment, the idea is to change the default behavior out of the box after we kickstart install the machines. Avoiding the need to log in or do any manual configuration post install.

My question was specifically why it is messed up and showing what appears to be graphics memory.

thanks again Rog,
_g

[root@df008 ~]# yum list installed | grep -i ^qt
qt.x86_64 1:4.8.5-11.el7 @anaconda
qt-mysql.x86_64 1:4.8.5-11.el7 @anaconda
qt-settings.noarch 19-23.5.el7.centos @anaconda
qt-x11.x86_64 1:4.8.5-11.el7 @anaconda
qt3.x86_64

[root@df008 ~]# yum list installed | grep -i ^kde | grep -i plasma
kde-plasma-networkmanagement.x86_64 1:0.9.0.9-7.el7 @anaconda
kde-plasma-networkmanagement-libs.x86_64
kde-settings-plasma.noarch 19-23.5.el7.centos @anaconda
kdeplasma-addons.x86_64 4.10.5-5.el7 @anaconda
kdeplasma-addons-libs.x86_64 4.10.5-5.el7 @anaconda
[root@df008 ~]#

There doesn't seem to be a KDE framwork installed:

[root@df008 ~]# yum list installed | grep -i frame
[root@df008 ~]#

[root@df008 ~]# yum search frame | grep -i kde
kf5-frameworkintegration.x86_64 : KDE Frameworks 5 Tier 4 workspace and
kf5-attica.x86_64 : KDE Frameworks Tier 1 Addon with Open Collaboration Services

--SNIP--