This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Freedesktop xgd set up for more than one user on a machine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
longerjohn
Registered Member
I'm a bit confused by this. I wanted to set up 2 kde user accounts with differing start button panel menu contents. Can't be done because everything is installed system wide so it's the same for all users on the same machine.

I came across a comment on here that mentioned that a menu directory in user space would over ride the system wide one but the freedesktop spec I have seen suggests that can only be done by not defining the system wide xdg settings. There would a need to over ride the directory that contains the dot desktop files that link to the actual applications as well.

So how does this area work in practice? It's not helped by distro's dumping all of the dot desktop files in one directory and then populating the menu with the lot. As the menu structure contains every conceivable category I can't see how applications can be set on a by user basis without a directory that over rides the system wide one for the dot desktop files as well.

John
-