This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Font bug with both KDevelop and Kate

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MikeDLui
Registered Member
When I set a font in Kdevelop/Kate, this line gets entered in $HOME/.config/kateschemarc:
Code: Select all
Font=Hack,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular

After this, all bold and italic fonts stop working in the editor, that would be normally be picked up by the syntax checking.
Even if I reset the font to the original settings, the bold and italic still doesn't come back.
The only way I've found to fix this, is to delete that font line from the kateschemarc file.
Is this a known bug? I can only have bold and italic flavors with the system default?

I had a similar issue with Konsole but the fix for that doesn't help here: https://forum.qt.io/topic/78036/bold-fo ... s-in-linux
MikeDLui
Registered Member
Fixed it by modifying

Font=Hack,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular

to

Font=Hack,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

Why is Regular set by default???
kde-cfeck
Registered Member
Do you see this styleName added to the config string happen with every font? It is possible that only specific fonts announce that they need a special style name and cannot be requested using the regular weight and slant attributes.

According to the Qt documentation, the style name has precendence over weight and slant attributes, so Qt is correct ignoring the attributes if the style name is present.
Moonlight Feather
Registered Member
OS
kde-cfeck wrote:Do you see this styleName added to the config string happen with every font? It is possible that only specific fonts announce that they need a special style name and cannot be requested using the regular weight and slant attributes.

According to the Qt documentation, the style name has precendence over weight and slant attributes, so Qt is correct ignoring the attributes if the style name is present.

I'm also having this issue, but on Konsole.
The style name gets added to every font, yes. It also happens in $HOME/.config/kdeglobals. Try to
1. Open System Settings -> Appearance/Fonts
2. Select a different font, hit Apply
3. `grep "Font=" $HOME/.config/kdeglobals`
$ grep "Font=" $HOME/.config/kdeglobals
menuFont=Overpass,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular
smallestReadableFont=Noto Sans,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular
toolBarFont=Noto Sans,9,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular
activeFont=Noto Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular

For Kate:
1. Open Kate -> Settings/Configure Kate -> Editor Component/Font
2. Select a different font, Apply
3. `grep "Font=" $HOME/.config/kateschemarc`
$ grep Font= $HOME/.config/kateschemarc
Font=Re:zero_imoji_ver1.1.1,15,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
Font=Fira Code,9,-1,0,50,0,0,0,0,0
Font=Fira Code,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
Font=Rozerofo,12,-1,5,50,1,0,0,0,0
Font=Hack,9,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0,Regular

Every line represents a different font/color scheme here, since I've only modified one color scheme, only one line has the style name specified.
Feel free to try changing the font for every scheme.

Sure, Qt may be doing the right thing, then whatever's setting these configs is doing something wrong. Maybe the font selecting component needs a way to not select any font style? Or maybe Konsole, Kate, KDevelop, etc. should ignore Regular if it is set, only forcing one fontstyle if it's, say, Medium or Bold?
kde-cfeck
Registered Member
Which exact Qt version are you using?
kde-cfeck
Registered Member