This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with Caps Lock Key Behavior

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
FrankW
Registered Member
OS
Just yesterday I installed Kubuntu 17.04, upgrading from GNOME Ubuntu 16.10. My keyboard is a Logitech G610. Although it appears that I will have to begin the learning process over again using KDE and Plasma, I believe I have made a good choice in switching.

The matter I am writing about concerns the behavior of the keyboard's Cap Lock key. in spite of every effort I have made to disable it - through GNOME, then Ubuntu and now KDE, it simply will NOT be disabled! ??? And now, as if to spite me, the GD thing appears to be 'stuck' in the 'On' position (making the writing up of this issue quite an adventure).

PLEASE! Can anybody advise me as to what I need to do differently from what i have already tried (which is basically everything that Reason and Common Sense would dictate)? :'(

Many Thanks! :)

UPDATE: No sooner than I finished posting my plea for help, I returned to Keyboard Settings. I deselected 'Disable Caps Lock' from the menu and applied the change. This produced no change in my keyboard's Caps Lock key. I then re-selected Disable Caps Lock and applied the change when lo and behold, the Caps Lock key light on my keyboard turned off! :o I exited System Settings and launched the text editor and miracle of miracles, the Caps Lock key no longer functions! YAY!! ;D

I am glad I was finally able to achieve my objective with the Caps Lock key after all this time and so many attempts, but I am left puzzled as to WHY I was suddenly able to accomplish what I had not been able to accomplish before? ???

Precision T-5400 -- 2 - Quad Core Xeon @ 3.16GHz 20 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 210 1GB DRAM - Using X.org X server Nouveau driver

Kubuntu 17.04 - KDE Plasma 5.94