This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't disable global menu - menubar not shown in application

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
farukdgn
Registered Member
So, I wanted to give global menu bar a try. And now I want to disable it and use the menu bar in application like before.
I set "Menubar style" setting back to "In application", but now they are not shown anywhere. I tried restarting the applications and logging out and in.
Can anyone help me?

Edit: I think the bug only happens in some applications like Okular, Ark, KSysGuard. I'm not sure if they had menubar before. Can anyone verify?

Edit 2: I have found the config files for these applications ("/home/<username>/.config/<appname>rc" files) and removed them. When I ran these applications after that, they recreated their config files and the menu bars were back. After investigating the contents of the files, I have seen "MenuBar=Disabled" entry. Removing this entry also fixes the issue.

I hope this gets fixed in newer versions. Following these steps reproduce the bug:

1. Go to System settings -> Application style -> Widget style -> Fine tuning, change Menubar style to Title bar button or Application menu widget and Apply changes.
2. Open one of the applications above (there may be more applications with the same issue, I have only discovered Ark, Ksysguard and Okular. But some applications are not bugged, for example Kwrite and KCalc does not have the same issue).
3. Close the application.
4. In the Fine tuning tab, choose In application as Menubar style and Apply changes.
5. Open the application you did in Step 2. There still isn't menu bar in application.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd recommend filing a bug to bugs.kde.org to get that fixed.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
orahcio
Registered Member
OS
farukdgn wrote:1. Go to System settings -> Application style -> Widget style -> Fine tuning, change Menubar style to Title bar button or Application menu widget and Apply changes.

That option is missing here. Is there a bug? I am using a kde plasma 5.11.95.
mkyral
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
did you solved it? I just installed 5.12 and there is no menu in LibreOffice, so I want to switch the global menus off, but I can't, as this options is not in settings.

Update: found a solution in https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390177

mkyral, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Fifoxtasy
Registered Member
OS
thanks so much for this solution!
i had to stick to the global menu even though i didn't like it

this should really be changed. it probably shouldn't be stored in all those individual config files, only centrally.