This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Setting system sound events in KDE

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pemartins
Registered Member

Setting system sound events in KDE

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:13 pm
Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this question, if it isn't I ask for it to be moved to the appropriate subforum.

I've been trying some KDE distros the last couple of days and I have to congratulate all the team because KDE looks amazing, most probably I'll start using one of them as my OS. Beautiful, functional and highly configurable, one can't really ask for more! So congrats on a job very well done!

Now my question, there's something I could not figure out concerning system sound events, I found a lot of system sound events in the settings in Notifications but I could not find the 'regular' system sound events, i.e. traditional libcanberra 's sounds to open a window, to close a window, to maximize a window, to press a button, to open and close a menu, change a tab and so on:
Code: Select all
   window-new
   window-close
   window-minimized
   window-unminimized
   window-maximized
   window-unmaximized
   notebook-tab-changed
   item-selected
   link-pressed
   link-released
   button-pressed
   button-released
   menu-click
   button-toggle-on
   button-toggle-off
   menu-popup
   menu-popdown
   menu-replace
   tooltip-popup
   tooltip-popdown
   expander-toggle-on
   expander-toggle-off

Where can I set these and where can I change the system sound theme?

Thank you very much in advance.
Rog131
Registered Member
pemartins
Registered Member
@Rog131 thank you for helping me!

I checked the link but I wasn't able to understand much, I understood that what I'm asking for got removed from KDE at some point?

I believe I got it wrong, it would be kinda weird removing something that can bring a better user experience, specially in a desktop environment as beautiful as KDE. Well I'll admit that all (or almost all) the system sound packs for Linux that I ever came across are as bad and annoying as it can get, but with the right system sound set the user experience can be upgraded by a lot. I'm still putting together some sounds to make my own set but by now I've reached a very classy and gratifying sound event experience, which upgrades a lot the user experience.

So did I get it right and those sound events I'm looking for are not available at KDE? And if I got it right, that link was talking about a script, is there something that can be added to KDE to make them work?
And another questions still, can't libcanberra be used to play those sound events, just like in Xfce or Mate desktop environments?

Thank you once again for your time and for your help.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
No, it didn't get removed.
KDE/Plasma never used libcanberra to play system sounds. That's a "GNOME thing"...
pemartins
Registered Member
Thank you for helping me.

But now I'm totally lost, the link provided by @Rog131 mentioned that those system sound events got removed but if they didn't, @wolfi323 can you then helped with the answer for my question on the first post?
Note that I mention libcanberra there only as an example for the system sound events I'm looking for.

Thank you once again.
Rog131
Registered Member
Pre KDE SC 4.11

Image is from the KDE SC 4.9

KDE SC 4.11

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258097#c3
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110113/
https://cgit.kde.org/kde-workspace.git/ ... 130e12b0a8

Remove KWin::Notifications

Overall all notifications except compositing suspended by DBus were
configured by default to not have any action. This means all the time we
emit a notification we keep DBus and KDED busy for nothing.

All the cases when a notification is triggered ire also exported to
KWin scripting, so if one really needs to handle something in case a
window is moved, it could be done through a KWin script with much more
context about the event.

Move Composite suspended by dbus notification directly to where it's used
Remove demands attention notification
Remove window activated notification

Kwin 5.10.4
(The kwin is released with the plasma)

KWin scripting

- https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tu ... /Scripting

What next?

Once you have created something nice, consider sharing it with other KDE users!

Note !
Desktop Shell Scripting Console:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell org.kde.PlasmaShell.showInteractiveKWinConsole

Kwin scripts from the KDE Store: https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/210/
KDE System Settings > Window Management > KWin Scripts
pemartins
Registered Member
Thank you very much once again.

Ok so those sound events were indeed removed. And for what I understood you gave me the tools to build a script myself to try to get them back.

I thank you very much for that but that would be something like giving me 4 ounce gloves and UFC shorts and send me into an UFC cage to fight, I'd have the needed tools but not the knowledge to be able to do anything at all, it would not be a fight but a massacre instead. There's no way I can code, I'm just the everyday Joe among the (more than) 99% of the 4 or 5 billions of people who use computers and phones and tablets who can't code and are just users. I'm just looking for that something that's already made and ready and fits me best.

I'll stick with another desktop environment for now, leaving the suggestion of these system sound events to be brought back to KDE.

Thank you all very much for your time and for your help.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
I meant that using libcanberra was not removed, it never was used in the first place.

Although, the notification settings also allow to configure a command to be run, so it would be possible to use canberra-gtk-play to play a notification sound, but that doesn't help if the wanted notifications were removed of course.
pemartins
Registered Member
Some time has passed since I asked the question on this thread so I was wondering if something has changed since then, has there been any implementation of system sound events in KDE or is there a workaround to get them working?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
pemartins wrote:Some time has passed since I asked the question on this thread so I was wondering if something has changed since then, has there been any implementation of system sound events in KDE or is there a workaround to get them working?

I am not aware of a change in this regard.

And this is probably not the best place to suggest adding it either, most developers probably won't follow the "Graphics & Multimedia" subforum.

Maybe try the "KDE Brainstorm" or probably even better the "Visual Design Group" subsection.
viewforum.php?f=83
viewforum.php?f=285

Or file an enhancement request on bugs.kde.org.
linuxnoobi
Registered Member
REVIVE!!

I can't imagine that it' been over 2 year and no one was able to figure out sound events on KDE Manjaro. it must be that difficult to do. I miss my sounds from MX Linux, but I love the KDE platform soo much more. guess you just can't have both.
andredla
Registered Member
I made a KWin script that allows you to configure a audio file to be used on windows actions.
You can inform the volume too for every sound.
Josesk Volpe
Registered Member
OS
andredla wrote:I made a KWin script that allows you to configure a audio file to be used on windows actions.

So post it, please :3
andredla
Registered Member
Josesk Volpe wrote:
andredla wrote:I made a KWin script that allows you to configure a audio file to be used on windows actions.

So post it, please :3

Sorry, i took so long to answer, here is the kwin script, feel free to improve it as you like ;-)
https://github.com/andredla/win_audio