This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I keep my desktop settings when going to KDE 5.8.7?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kls
Registered Member
I am currently using openSUSE 13.2 with KDE 4.14.9 and am trying to set up a new computer with openSUSE 42.3, which comes with KDE 5.8.7.
However, if I log in to the new machine with a copy of my existing home directory (and thus all of my KDE 4.14.9 desktop settings), the desktop looks nothing like it did before. None of my taskbar configurations are in place, the window behavior is different - it's like it knows nothing of my previous configuration.

Since I have invested quite some time in fine tuning my desktop environment, I'd really like to have it on the new machine exactly the way it was on the old one (or at least as close as possible). Is there a way to make KDE 5.8.7 come up like my existing desktop? Other than manually reconfiguring everything, of course ;-).

Klaus
kls
Registered Member
Is there really no update path for existing KDE users? Is all the work spent in configuring and fine tuning the desktop lost when updating to a new version of KDE?

Any software that changes its file formats or locations gives users some way of updating/converting existing data. Why is KDE thinking that the users' time and work is worth nothing, so they can just as well spend it again and again...?

Klaus