This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing font and background colors in pop up help dialogs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robroy
Registered Member
OS
I could probably find this with a google search, but I do not know what keyword to search on to find the answer.

I run Kubuntu 16.04. In many applications that I use (GIMP, for instance), if you hover the mouse over an icon, a help dialog will pop up that gives a brief description of what that icon does. The problem is that these dialogs are white text on a very light grey background, so they are very difficult to read.

What do I need to change to get a different background or text color so that I can read these messages easier?

Thanks.
Rog131
Registered Member
Bug 355540 - Tooltips color wrong in gtk applications: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=355540
robroy
Registered Member
OS
Rog131 wrote:Bug 355540 - Tooltips color wrong in gtk applications: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=355540

THANK YOU!

From that thread, this seems to have fixed my problem. I'm putting it here in case someone finds this thread in a search:
If you're using the default Breeze theme for KDE, and tooltips in non-KDE applications such as Gimp and Thunderbird are difficult to read (white text on gray background), then in System Settings > Color > Options for the Breeze theme uncheck "Apply colors to non-QT applications" and click [Apply]. (KDE bug 355540)
windr
Registered Member
Thanks for the tip, but where does one find [System Settings > Color > Options]?
I can't find [System Settings] at all. Under [Settings] I don't find [Color].
Thanks!
-----------------
Found the solution. Can't delete the post.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Colors is under Application Appearance (or similar) in System Settings

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.