This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can Screen Lock Be Disabled?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mdiemer
Registered Member

Can Screen Lock Be Disabled?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm
New user here, very impressed with KDE. One issue I'm having is that I want to stop the screen from locking every time I leave the computer for a few minutes. I'm on a Gateway desktop, with an AMD dual core and 6 GB Ram, and a 8400GS video card. Nobody but me uses the computer, so I don't need to lock the screen. I have unchecked all boxes in Settings relating to lock and suspend, but it still locks after 10 minutes (it may even be less; I can't run to the bathroom without having to enter my password). Is there a way to do it? I know it's a security feature, but again, I don't need it, I'm retired and the only other person in the house is my wife, who does not use Linux (although I hope to get her using it before Windows 7 EOL, which is the reason I'm checking out Manjaro KDE: the more like Windows the better for her).
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Can Screen Lock Be Disabled?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm
You might also check in Power Management as that has things like Screen Energy Saving (screen timeout, likely 5 or 10 minutes) and Lock screen on resume.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
mdiemer
Registered Member

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:12 am
airdrik wrote:You might also check in Power Management as that has things like Screen Energy Saving (screen timeout, likely 5 or 10 minutes) and Lock screen on resume.

Yes, I have unchecked all the boxes. I even set it to lock after one hour. It still locks after just a few minutes.
mdiemer
Registered Member

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm
Solved! I was looking in the wrong place (power management). I finally discovered that the setting was in Settings/Workspace/Desktop Behavior/Screen Locking. It was set for 5 minutes, which must be the default. I just unchecked it.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm
Ah, I'd assumed you'd already checked there; but I guess that was the less obvious of the two places.
This may be an "opportunity" to rearrange some of those options to be a little more intuitive.

mdiemer
Registered Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm
airdrik wrote:Ah, I'd assumed you'd already checked there; but I guess that was the less obvious of the two places.
This may be an "opportunity" to rearrange some of those options to be a little more intuitive.

Perhaps. This is my first experience with Manjaro or KDS. I have experience with a dozen or so other distros, and they usually have this setting under "Privacy." I guess I was conditioned by that to look for it there, or under Power. I really need to familiarize myself better with new distros anyway, especially one that is not Ubuntu-based. I don't know how many other folks care about this. It may be that most don't mind having to password every time they leave for 5 minutes, as the security thus afforded is important.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:30 pm
I think it depends on the individual and the use case.
In corporate environments, locking your session whenever you leave your desk is pretty much mandatory to avoid suspicious people accessing the company network using your computer. While most people get into the habit of explicitly locking their session when they get up, having it auto-lock after a certain timeout is a useful safeguard for that time when you forget.
At home people can usually assume that their computer is safe (enough) and are more likely to trade security for convenience with things like auto-login and disabling auto-lock.

randyb
Registered Member

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:49 pm
mdiemer wrote:Solved! I was looking in the wrong place (power management). I finally discovered that the setting was in Settings/Workspace/Desktop Behavior/Screen Locking. It was set for 5 minutes, which must be the default. I just unchecked it.

Thank you, mdiemer, for this! I've been Googling for over an hour...drilled a lot of dry holes. Your situation is exactly what has been tormenting me and making me tear at my hair for the past 2 days since I first installed KDE Manjaro. I was thinking power-setting or defect. After all, there was no tip on the Power Management / Energy Saving page such as [Note: See Desktop Behavior / Screen Locking for additional screen-lock settings.]

I changed the 5 minutes to 90, and now life is good. I sure do appreciate you helping me to save my last handful of hair!
huftis
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am
randyb wrote:
mdiemer wrote:Solved! I was looking in the wrong place (power management). I finally discovered that the setting was in Settings/Workspace/Desktop Behavior/Screen Locking. It was set for 5 minutes, which must be the default. I just unchecked it.

Thank you, mdiemer, for this! I've been Googling for over an hour...drilled a lot of dry holes. Your situation is exactly what has been tormenting me and making me tear at my hair for the past 2 days since I first installed KDE Manjaro. I was thinking power-setting or defect. After all, there was no tip on the Power Management / Energy Saving page such as [Note: See Desktop Behavior / Screen Locking for additional screen-lock settings.]

I agree that this is confusing. Feel free to file a bug/wishlist for improvement in this area at https://bugs.kde.org/.

BTW, the system settings window does have a nice search feature (search field at the top-right corner) for situations like this. If you search for ‘lock’ or ‘screen locking’, it will highlight the ‘Desktop Behaviour’ icon, and the ‘Screen Locking’ module if you use the tree view (but not the ‘Power Management’ icon :().