This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Save customized panels?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thama
Registered Member

Save customized panels?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am
Hi,

I´m running Centos with Kernel 4.14.1-1.el7 and KDE SC Version 4.14.8 on a Lenovo T460p.

Unfortunately it happened already a couple of times to me, that I accidentally removed my primary panel, while trying to remove a widget inside of the panel. I seem to be too dumb to learn from that. But is there a way to save the configuration of a panel, so that instead of "default panel" I can add a "My customized panel", where everything shows up as configured before?

Thanks for your help
Thomas
Rog131
Registered Member

Re: Save customized panels?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 pm
thama wrote:Hi,

...KDE SC Version 4.14.8...

...is there a way to save the configuration of a panel, so that instead of "default panel" I can add a "My customized panel", where everything shows up as configured before?

Thanks for your help
Thomas

Hi.

A wish: Bug 382138 - Feature request: save existing panel as "template" - then available in "Add Panel" menu - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=382138 .

The plasma panel configuration is part of the plasma so you could save your plasma-desktop configuration files and later restore them.

Plasma 4 configuration files are saved to the $HOME/.kde/share/config/plasma* files or $HOME/.kde4/share/config/plasma*.
thama
Registered Member

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 am
Hi,

this is not too straightforward on the first view.
What do you mean by restore in this case? Obviously the mentioned bug is not yet integrated, is it?
So you would recommend me to backup these files somewhere and overwrite them in case they became lost - or how would you want me to do it?

Thanks
Rog131
Registered Member

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:04 am
Obviously the mentioned bug is not yet integrated, is it?

It is a wish - If someone has enough interest then there will be a fix/patch. The fix may or may not get integrated...

this is not too straightforward on the first view.
What do you mean by restore in this case?
So you would recommend me to backup these files somewhere and overwrite them in case they became lost - or how would you want me to do it?
Thanks

Earlier KDE Forums:

Plasma 4
- how i save my custom kde4 plasma: panel, icon favour?: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102649
- Re: Restore deleted taskbar: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=87112#p154291

Plasma 5
- How to backup Plasma 5 panels: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=128730
- Saving a customized panel: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133073