This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Solved?] Custom Buttons on Dolphin Toolbar

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jeagoss
Registered Member
In KDE3, using Konqueror, I was able to launch a Konsole window directly from the toolbar. The Konsole window was a completely independent process from Konqueror. It was started with the working path of the current directory in Konqueror.

In KDE4, I cannot do this. The "Terminal" button that you can add in Dolphin just enables a terminal emulator that is attached as a panel, or set to a "floating" panel.

What I would like to do is to add a custom button that I can launch my own "Konsole" process that is started with the current working directory. Is there a way to do this in Dolphin like the custom service menu's options?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Last edited by jeagoss on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toad
Global Moderator
OS

RE: Custom Buttons on Dolphin Toolbar

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 am
jeagoss wrote:In KDE3, using Konqueror, I was able to launch a Konsole window directly from the toolbar. The Konsole window was a completely independent process from Konqueror. It was started with the working path of the current directory in Konqueror.

In KDE4, I cannot do this. The "Terminal" button that you can add in Dolphin just enables a terminal emulator that is attached as a panel, or set to a "floating" panel.

What I would like to do is to add a custom button that I can launch my own "Konsole" process that is started with the current working directory. Is there a way to do this in Dolphin like the custom service menu's options?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

You could:

1. press F4 in Dolphin
2. click on view - panels - console
3. right click on a toolbar - adjust toolbar and add "terminal" to your current toolbar. Only need to give it a nice icon and Bob's your uncle :)

Debian testing
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 am
Yes, but he was talking about a separate process for the terminal. so execute Konsole and not using the part embedded.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:09 pm
msoeken wrote:Yes, but he was talking about a separate process for the terminal. so execute Konsole and not using the part embedded.

Well spotted, missed that one completely.

Time for yakuake in that case :)

Debian testing
dtritscher
Registered Member
jeagoss wrote:What I would like to do is to add a custom button that I can launch my own "Konsole" process that is started with the current working directory. Is there a way to do this in Dolphin like the custom service menu's options?

You already gave yourself the answer: You could create a service menu ;) Though you can't add it to the toolbar, it may be sufficient for you to call it via context menu.

dtritscher, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
msoeken
Mentor
OS
I think this is an interesting feature. Perhaps it could be configurable to start the terminal in a shell or in a new process. So, you should write a bug report on bugs.kde.org if there isn't already an entry. If the maintainer agrees I think it should be available in KDE 4.3. If you have C++ experience you could write a patch against branch. It should not be so much code. You can find a tutorial how to write a patch against current dolphin here: showthread.php?tid=11735&pid=14680

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
jeagoss
Registered Member
msoeken wrote:I think this is an interesting feature. Perhaps it could be configurable to start the terminal in a shell or in a new process. So, you should write a bug report on bugs.kde.org if there isn't already an entry. If the maintainer agrees I think it should be available in KDE 4.3. If you have C++ experience you could write a patch against branch. It should not be so much code. You can find a tutorial how to write a patch against current dolphin here: showthread.php?tid=11735&pid=14680

Thank You msoeken. I am not against coding in the option myself. I just wanted to see if the option was already available. KDE4 is still new to me, so I am still learning. I will run a checkout of the current code and see if there is a way to implement the button I want.