This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sorely needed Plasma5 migrants

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tinkerski
Registered Member

Sorely needed Plasma5 migrants

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:20 am
How do I set different properties for each desktop, or is this feature not yet migrated to plasma5?

Xeyes and/or mouse trails! Also an option for the arrow NOT to change to and I-bean until actually first clicked into an editor.

What used to be the QuickAccess widget, actually I'd like a handler to launch scripts in different folders using single click to navigate but doubleclick to execute. What had been the ancestor of Quick Access was really good although it did not have the different clicks feature

Under localisation I prefer widely customizable and direct format manipulation i.e. I do NOT want to click a flag but want to specify GMT-5 hrs etc. Similarly for th edate format in the clocks I like something like 23-Feb-2018 but none of the canned options allow this.

The panel color and 3d effect should be independent of other color/style features. This real-estate is more concentrated and more vital than any other. I also prefer independent slide-bar colors that are dedicated.

Dolphin still does not update. I can mount a new partition but then have to relauncs Dlphin or it will not show. Don't really know if this is a plasma issue or a dolphin one.

PLEASE get non-kde font sizes at least into the same ballpark as the kde ones. For my money preferences should always offer to set fonts or icons as screen % (as well as optionally direct pixel sizes). Using screen % would allow the conf files to be used on different resolutions without having to edit every preference. I use Sylpheed and the MOzilla appas, not to mention Nedit and am tuired of squinting to see 3mm tall writing on a 28" 1920x1200 monitor in blaring sunlight.

Thanks for considering
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Sorely needed Plasma5 migrants

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 pm
tinkerski wrote:How do I set different properties for each desktop, or is this feature not yet migrated to plasma5?

Use Activities instead of Virtual Desktops. (there are no plans to add the feature to VDs in Plasma 5, however Activities should be just as usable/accessible as VDs have been)
tinkerski wrote:Xeyes and/or mouse trails!

For Xeyes, you can see if there is a widget for that (or just run Xeyes separately).
I haven't seen mouse trails for a while. Checking Desktop Effects in KDE 4 the closest I can see is the Track Mouse effect which can be used to find the mouse cursor. I'd guess in KDE 5 you should have a similar option available.
tinkerski wrote: Also an option for the arrow NOT to change to and I-bean until actually first clicked into an editor.

Certainly an interesting idea. You might suggest the feature at phabricator.kde.org
tinkerski wrote:The panel color and 3d effect should be independent of other color/style features. This real-estate is more concentrated and more vital than any other. I also prefer independent slide-bar colors that are dedicated.

There are a few desktop themes which use the system color scheme for coloring (some/all) desktop elements, including Freeze and Colorbit, as well as This one called Colour Breeze which uses the Hover decoration for the panel colors.
tinkerski wrote:
Dolphin still does not update. I can mount a new partition but then have to relauncs Dlphin or it will not show. Don't really know if this is a plasma issue or a dolphin one.

I'd suggest filing a report to bugs.kde.org.
tinkerski wrote:PLEASE get non-kde font sizes at least into the same ballpark as the kde ones. For my money preferences should always offer to set fonts or icons as screen % (as well as optionally direct pixel sizes). Using screen % would allow the conf files to be used on different resolutions without having to edit every preference. I use Sylpheed and the MOzilla appas, not to mention Nedit and am tuired of squinting to see 3mm tall writing on a 28" 1920x1200 monitor in blaring sunlight.

Thanks for considering

Scaling of UI seems like it is still kind of an on-going thing. From what I've seen it appears that each DE has mostly solved it for that DE and associated apps, but there is some cross-DE work that perhaps still needs to be sorted out. (you could also just use a smaller resolution, but I understand that's still a sub-par option)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
tinkerski
Registered Member

Re: Sorely needed Plasma5 migrants

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 am
First and foremost, thanks for your response,

Re: unique desktop attributes...
Use Activities instead of Virtual Desktops. (there are no plans to add the feature to VDs in Plasma 5, however Activities should be just as usable/accessible as VDs have been)

I wasn't familiar with 'Activities' and from what I've seen in the last few minutes I guess it's not for me. Right now I'm on my *goto* Suse-13.2 which was the last Suse to offer kde4 which is precisely why it's still my goto system. So, I can't really report on any step by step Splashma5 clickies at this moment but I have with more or less success tried to set up my Splashma5 desktop the same as my KDE4 one. In fact I even try to make XFCE "fall in line". I use up to 20 desktops on a pager with numbers, some have frequently consulted document as part of the background, 1 click and I'm in them. I have a 2 dimensional monitor, THAT isn't going to change in my lifetime. I want my DE to be entirely 2-dimentional also even conceptually, like fully cascading and never context or dynamic menus, that sort of thing. I am old fashioned in this respect, I intend to stay that way though I consider DE's and even OS'es as just plugins for one's favorite apps. To "me" a desktop is a normally empty and very clean and sparse businesslike place where WORK gets executed on need.

http://trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/MySu ... esktop.jpg
http://trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/MyDe ... esktop.png
http://trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/MyTwKde5-Desktop.png

Re: Xeyes and/or mouse trails...
For Xeyes, you can see if there is a widget for that (or just run Xeyes separately)

No widget that I know of, too many other very useful widgets have bit the dust if you ask me.

Re: Mouse-Trails...
I haven't seen mouse trails for a while. Checking Desktop Effects in KDE 4 the closest I can see is the Track Mouse effect which can be used to find the mouse cursor. I'd guess in KDE 5 you should have a similar option available.

This also applies to the previous entries, my "outdated" 24 inch monitor resolution is 1920x1200, the next one will be 26-28" and double that resolution. Trying to find the mouse can be a daunting task especially with several windows open some of them editor windows. My study is a bright lit place with glass walls and sunlight, X-Eyes and Mouse-Trails were BOTH always excellent aids, BOTH have been gone for ages.

Re: Unique desktop attributes...
There are a few desktop themes which use the system color scheme for coloring (some/all) desktop elements

Well, there's ANOTHER thing right there that's done wrong. Themes are OK for color and maybe icon styles and such. This 'themes' way means that if only a single theme has what I consider essential then I'd be constrained to that theme.

Re: Dolphin still does not update. [/quote] I'd suggest filing a report to bugs.kde.org. [/quote]

I turned 74 a few weeks ago, if Trump can run the planet's only superpower on twitter then I don't need to learn bug reporting :-)

Re: PLEASE get non-kde font sizes at least into the same ballpark...
Scaling of UI seems like it is still kind of an on-going thing. From what I've seen it appears that each DE has mostly solved it for that DE and associated apps....

I'm not familiar with that many DE's but it seems like none of them are half as uncooperative as KDE in this respect.

So, again thanks for the input, I appreciate the time and good will you put into it. I was hoping that kde devs might look in on the forum from time to time :-)