This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

QtQuick errors when selecting animated wallpaper widgets

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
NginUS
Registered Member
I'm on Mint 18.3 & tried both "GIF Wallpaper" [1] & "Video Wallpaper" [2] widgets from the KDE store.

Both return the same error [3] regarding the installed version of QtQuick being too low: "QtQuick version 2.7 is not installed"

I looked through the default repositories in Synaptic & don't see anything like what its asking for. Also did a quick Google for a PPA that may contain it. No luck there, so I'm here.

[1]
https://store.kde.org/p/1242589/

[2]
https://store.kde.org/p/1213488/

[3]
https://imgur.com/a/1YYi3QS
Rog131
Registered Member
Earlier - Video wallpaper: https://store.kde.org/p/1213488/

Supernova 1 month ago
srog, "import QtMultimedia 5.8, import QtQuick 2.7" seem to be outdated in "Linux Mint 18.3 KDE x64" and from what I've read it's better to get a newer OS, but there isn't one atm for Linux.. Is there a workaround?

I answered:

Starting the Mint in the VBox:

Yes the Qt is a bit old. There are errors: "QtQuick version 2.7 in not installed" and "QtMultimedia version 5.8 is not installed".

Editing all qml files in $HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/. Lowering the QtQuick and QtMultimedia to 2.6:

Installing GStreamer plugins:

Picking a video file:
... seems to work:

Versions

The latest Qt release (now) is the 5.11 - Qt version history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_version_history

Plasma-desktop:

https://cgit.kde.org/plasma-desktop.git ... lasma/5.12
set(PROJECT_VERSION "5.12.6")
set(PROJECT_VERSION_MAJOR 5)

set(QT_MIN_VERSION "5.9.0")

https://cgit.kde.org/plasma-desktop.git ... lasma/5.13
set(PROJECT_VERSION "5.13.4")
set(PROJECT_VERSION_MAJOR 5)

set(QT_MIN_VERSION "5.10.0")
NginUS
Registered Member
Thanks.

I was able to get past the version errors in the wallpaper dialog by changing 2 files as described. However, I made the QtMultimedia 5.6 not 2.6 because that's what was in the screenshot provided.

I did this for both the GifWallpaper & VideoWallpaper widgets.

I also installed every gstreamer plugin through Synaptic, by searching gstreamer plugin & checking them all.

However, when I select a file, it doesn't appear in the preview area below the path chooser field. Nor does it appear on the desktop when I hit Apply.

I restarted the plasma desktop, but it didn't help.

Not sure what I did wrong. Does the QtMultimedia value need to change from 5.7 to 2.6?

EDIT: On second thought, if QtMultimedia needs to be 2.6, then the other one without that value would work. So assuming that's correct...
Rog131
Registered Member
NginUS wrote:Thanks.

I was able to get past the version errors in the wallpaper dialog by changing 2 files as described. However, I made the QtMultimedia 5.6 not 2.6 because that's what was in the screenshot provided.

I did this for both the GifWallpaper & VideoWallpaper widgets.

I also installed every gstreamer plugin through Synaptic, by searching gstreamer plugin & checking them all.

However, when I select a file, it doesn't appear in the preview area below the path chooser field. Nor does it appear on the desktop when I hit Apply.

I restarted the plasma desktop, but it didn't help.

Not sure what I did wrong. Does the QtMultimedia value need to change from 5.7 to 2.6?

EDIT: On second thought, if QtMultimedia needs to be 2.6, then the other one without that value would work. So assuming that's correct...

It should be:

Editing all qml files in $HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/... Lowering the QtQuick to 2.6 and the QtMultimedia to 5.6:

If you have tested the wallpaper plugin then the plasma has loaded the old qml code and the plasmashell need to clean the memory. Plasma restart will clean the memory.

Either log out and log in. Or

Quit plasmashell
Code: Select all
kquitapp5 plasmashell

and start plasmashell
plasmashell &

Qml files with the 'import QtQuick 2.7':
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/mediaplayer/player.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/mediaplayer/loading.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/config.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/preview/QuickPreview.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/main.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/ReadMe.qml

Qml files with the 'import QtMultimedia 5.8':
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/mediaplayer/player.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/config.qml
$HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/VideoWallpaper/contents/ui/preview/QuickPreview.qml

The files can be found with the commands:
grep -R "import QtMultimedia 5.8"

and
grep -R "import QtQuick 2.7"

Last edited by Rog131 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NginUS
Registered Member
That did it, thanks!

One thing to note for future reference perhaps...

When I initially set the file, it would display in the preview area in the settings dialog, but would only display the background color upon hitting 'Apply'. I did this over & over until eventually the whole plasma desktop crashed & relaunched. Only after this did it actually work properly. So, I guess that's what you meant about cleaning the memory. :-)
phd21
Registered Member
HI Everyone,

Well, I am glad to see that you have your video wallpaper options working now in Linux Mint KDE 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04). Thank you all for posting the methods for doing that.

Because of elapsed time and the various versions of Linux Mint and Ubuntu and KDE Plasma, the KDE store items may or may not work for particular versions of these. Sometimes you can change the underlying code as you were shown which may or may not work. I have done this many times trying to compile certain software or to get certain apps to work. I am glad this worked.

When you look at the KDE store items and you click the files tab, sometimes there will be multiple archive files for the various Plasma versions (p11-p12 for Plasma 11 and Plasma 12), etc.. which the user has to pick the correct version for their system.

It would be very nice for someone to repackage the archives for the various video wallpaper options (& others) with the already edited configuration and control files for the correct versions of Plasma with filenames that reflect that to make it easier for KDE users to install and use these wonderful options, like "VIdeoWallpaper-Plasma6-8", or "VIdeoWallpaper-Plasma6-8-Ubuntu16", "VIdeoWallpaper-Plasma11-12", "VIdeoWallpaper-Plasma11-12-Ubuntu18", etc... But, I think the original author who posted the item on the KDE Store website has to do that, I am not sure that others can also do that.

Regards,

Phil (phd21)