This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Clicking hyperlink opens winebrowser.exe instead of Firefox

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Adutchman
Registered Member
I'm having a weird issue for quite a long time now. Whenever I click on a hyperlink winebrowser.exe opens over and over again until I close it via System Monitor or it opens just one instance of it but I still have to close it via System Monitor. I have looked in Settings but I can't seem to find the problem. It is not a dealbreaker, just really annoying so it would be great if someone could help me out.

Thanks,
Adutchman
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I guess your default application list has winebrowser instead of Firefox in the preferences. This is not Neon specific. Open your

System Settings -> Personalization: Applications -> Default Applications -> Web Browser

and choose Firefox from there. If this doesn't help, you might have to change the File Associations for web addresses and push the winebrowser option to the bottom.

Moving this to the "Appearance and System Customization" section of the forum.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Adutchman
Registered Member
Now this happens:
https://streamable.com/iwlr1
The video shows that if I change the standard action for a link to "open Firefox", save the changes and go back , it doesn't save it.
KomraDE
Registered Member
OS
My apologies for resurrecting zombies but hey! halloween is coming up, isn't it? ;D

I ran into a similar problem: My firefox ALWAYS opened my HTML-attachments (from emails) with winebrowser... very annoying! I could redirect it to Chromium, FF or Konqueror but it never kept the setting :(

Also finetuning like @Mamarok suggested didn't help. Finally I ran into this page:

https://support.mozilla.org/gl/questions/970888#answer-478204
Code: Select all
~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

had the relevant entry (html) for this strange behaviour and I changed it to
Code: Select all
text/html=firefox-esr.desktop;

Opens no more in WineBrowser but in my usual Firefox... and it keeps that setting ^-^

Take a good look, children. It will prepare you for your adult lives in our nightmarish corporate system.