This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Taskbar Settings, And Other Settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
leftistdirtbag
Registered Member
i'm loving neon and have been slowly setting it up to my liking,actually i haven't been back in windows since the day before yesterday. that said there are a couple of things i'd like to change. the first one is the taskbar. i have it icon only, aouthidden, and doubled in height like i like, but what i can't find is the ability to launch a systray item by just clicking or double clicking on it. i'm not fond of clicking a program in the systray and have a dropdown menu where i have to select to open the program instead of the program just opening. is there a way to just open the program when i click on it in they ststray instead of getting that dropdown menu?

the other item is i'd like dolphin to open to view my drives like my pc does in win 10 once you remove all the extra folders showing so i can navigate to what i want from there. since i'm talking about dolphin when i go to save something in a program how do i navigate to my drives?

Last edited by leftistdirtbag on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I noticed the system tray thing as well. It may depend on the app. Playing around with it, middle click opened up one app that was just showing the menu with both right and left click. Not a universal solution as that only worked on the one app I tried.

Dolphin doesn't include that default view feature like Windows Explorer, however it does have a Places panel which presents most of the same information, including listing out attached drives, partitions, storage devices. The Places panel can be shown by using F9 or from the menu under Panels. Also, you can click on the folder icon in the location to bring up a menu which lists the available places for quick switching.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
leftistdirtbag
Registered Member
places is shown by default. clicking f9 closes it, and clicking it again reopens it.

EDIT:

edited the first post, cause i was backing up a browser extensions settings and saw the path to the drives root/media/ my username. so that mystery for me solved.
leftistdirtbag
Registered Member
o.k. i know that it should be possible to change the default folder my file manager opens up on launch. someone please provide instructions. now if it makes any difference i've switch dolphin for pcmanfm. i switched cause shortcuts kept breaking and opening kwriter instead of launching the actual program they are linked to after using them so many times, whereas in pcmanfm they don't break.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
For the default folder in Dolphin, that should be in Dolphin's settings in the Startup tab as "Home Folder".

For the file associations issues, I believe I've seen similar behaviors reported on these forums but can't say for sure. Do some searching to see if you can turn anything up. If you can't find anything, please start a separate topic to discuss the problem.
Also in general when you run into trouble, a common tip to help nail down where the problem is is to create a new from-scratch user and see if you still run into problems with that user.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
leftistdirtbag
Registered Member
airdrik wrote:For the default folder in Dolphin, that should be in Dolphin's settings in the Startup tab as "Home Folder".

For the file associations issues, I believe I've seen similar behaviors reported on these forums but can't say for sure. Do some searching to see if you can turn anything up. If you can't find anything, please start a separate topic to discuss the problem.
Also in general when you run into trouble, a common tip to help nail down where the problem is is to create a new from-scratch user and see if you still run into problems with that user.

ok yea dolphin settings / startup. thread created for the other issue. thanks.