This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Shortcuts reset after restart

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jafarov
Registered Member

Shortcuts reset after restart

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:03 pm
Hi,

I'm having trouble with KDE shortcuts. I should preface this by saying that I have changed my keyboard layout with xmodmap. My bottom row is (from left to right):
Hyper Alt Ctrl Space AltGr Super Fn Ctrl

I'm having two problems with shortcuts. One happens when I try to bind Hyper to anything. It does not show up as Hyper, instead it outputs as " ៀ?". I can't bind Hyper+anything to a shortcut because of this. It just registers Hyper as that jumble of symbols. I can bind Ctrl+Hyper but Hyper still shows up as a mess. This is annoying but not the end of the world. This doesn't seem to be a problem with other programs. Emacs for example recognises Hyper properly.

The second and more critical bug is the fact that I can't save shortcuts. They are saved for this session only and disappear after a reboot. I then have to set the shortcut again. I have checked ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc and the change seems to be registered before the reboot but it too resets after a reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running:
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.3
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.52.0
Kernel Version: 4.14.81-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
raftel
Registered Member

Re: Shortcuts reset after restart

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:33 pm
I'm wondering if you figured out how to fix this problem? I have the same issue and it's pretty frustrating.

Operating System: KDE neon
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.2
Qt Version: 5.14.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-40-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 pm
Do you save the session on logout? See System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Desktop Session

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
raftel
Registered Member

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 pm
Mamarok wrote:Do you save the session on logout? See System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Desktop Session

I start with an empty session. My main issue is shortcuts using the Hyper key as a modifier, every other shortcuts are working properly, does KDE support this key?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:29 pm
How about saving the session, then, that should solve the problem.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
johnchaney
Registered Member

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:40 pm
Hey - I'm having this exact same problem as well. I wanted to use capslock as the shortcut key to open/retract the Yakuake terminal window. Capslock by itself works fine, but it also obviously toggles caps lock on/off, so as soon as I start typing in the terminal it's in all caps which is annoying. So I used xkb to rebind the capslock key to Hyper_L, which does also work great and without triggering the actual capslock toggle, but it shows up with that weird symbol the OP mentioned in KDE system settings' Shortcuts menu:

and it infuriatingly clears the shortcut entirely upon each reboot/logout.

But it definitely has nothing to do with the session saving setting. I've enabled that setting right after any new fresh install of a KDE system, and it doesn't make a difference - same problem as the OP has. I'm not sure what could be causing the shortcut to reset, or even where to begin to look (I'm guessing it's probably some low-level thing having to do with xkb, or X11 in general, or how it interfaces with plasma), but it is especially weird since if I look in ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc, it shows that same weird unicode string or whatever it is, so it definitely gets saved correctly. Maybe it's KDE not being able to read those character codes or something from the file when it starts up after a reboot?

If it helps, I'm on NixOS (unstable channel / 21.03) using plasma 5.20.5, KDE frameworks 5.76.0, Qt 5.15.2 and kernel 5.10.7.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 pm
You can't use CapsLock alone for shortcuts AFAIK

kove
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:14 pm
johnchaney wrote:Hey - I'm having this exact same problem as well. I wanted to use capslock as the shortcut key to open/retract the Yakuake terminal window. Capslock by itself works fine, but it also obviously toggles caps lock on/off, so as soon as I start typing in the terminal it's in all caps which is annoying. So I used xkb to rebind the capslock key to Hyper_L, which does also work great and without triggering the actual capslock toggle, but it shows up with that weird symbol the OP mentioned in KDE system settings' Shortcuts menu:

I found a workaround. You can make Caps Lock map to an unused key like F13, and it remembers it after a reboot.

You can change what "Make Caps Lock an additional Hyper" does by editing the following lines in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/capslock.
Code: Select all
hidden partial modifier_keys
xkb_symbols "hyper" {
    key <CAPS> { [ Hyper_L ] };
    modifier_map Mod4 { <CAPS> };
};

Replace Hyper_L with F13, and when you reboot and have "Make Caps Lock an additional Hyper" on, you can set caps lock as a shortcut in the settings and it remembers.