This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why no "Save current state" in Look and Feel?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kduser
Registered Member
It seems that "Look and Feel" is above "Theme", and it includes all visual options, such as theme, icons, GTK theme, colours, window decorations, etc.

I need to switch between dark and mode multiple times a day according to the ambient lighting. But I changing all individual entries in Appearance is time-consuming. I want an one-click method. Look and Feel seems to be that, but I cannot edit or save current state as a new Look and Feel. But there seems to be no such feature.

I wonder why there is no GUI feature to save all current Appearance-related settings as a new Look and Feel. I think I can probably do that by hand by creating/editing some files, but that would be time-consuming. It would be much easier if there is "Save current state as a Look and Feel" or "Modify" for an existing Look and Feel. In Microsoft Windows, you can easily just click "Save theme" or "Save as a theme". (Windows "theme" seems to be the equivalent of "Look and Feel" in KDE.)

----

Wow, this is far more difficult than I thought... So, how do you do a simple thing like swapping the window decorator of an existing Look and Feel? I have copied an existing Look and Feel to .local and tried to edit it. "defaults" seemed to be the setting, and "[kwinrc][org.kde.kdecoration2]" seemed to be what determines the decoration. But how can I set it to Breezemite that I have downloaded? A thing like this should not have been this difficult.
Rog131
Registered Member
Copy of Changing the Look and Feel theme defaults - viewtopic.php?f=289&p=406002#p406002
Earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/8 ... _and_lock/

Changing the Look and Feel theme defaults 2

The LnF themes have the 'default' file. For the user the path is: $HOME/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/<THEME_NAME>/contents/defaults. You could set the default plasma/icon/color/etc theme with it. The 'defaults' file is a simple text file and you could edit it with a text editor.

There is also a dedicated tool the 'Plasma Look and Feel Explorer'. It has button 'Defaults from current setup':

Edit the Plasma theme, color, icons, etc and then click the 'Defaults from current setup' and Save:

The 'Plasma Look and Feel Explorer' is part of the 'plasma-sdk'