This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

icons on the KDE Plasma desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
atorrante
Registered Member

icons on the KDE Plasma desktop

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:38 pm
Every time I create a folder on the plasma desktop, the icons get messed up, they never get sorted as I set them :'(
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: icons on the KDE Plasma desktop

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm
How are the sorting options set under right-click on empty space on the desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Icons?

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
dngrsone
Registered Member

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 pm
The sorting options are fairly basic... is there a way to place an icon in a particular place and force it to stay there?

I don't want my icons stacked at the top left or top right.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:02 pm
Presumably if you set Sorting to Unsorted, it ought to allow you to rearrange things however you want.
That said, I don't use the desktop folder much, so someone who is more familiar with its use could provide better suggestions.

dngrsone
Registered Member

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:08 pm
airdrik wrote:Presumably if you set Sorting to Unsorted, it ought to allow you to rearrange things however you want.
That said, I don't use the desktop folder much, so someone who is more familiar with its use could provide better suggestions.

Yeah, unfortunately, the "Arrange order" option is either rows or columns, and either way, it bounces back to either the left or right top corner.

*** Edit: Ah, I was in Folder view... changed it desktop and things went the way they should.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 pm
I'd suggest submitting a request to add the option to allow free arrangement so that you can drag things around where you want.
They recently put quite a bit of effort into making the default folder view containment behave like a "standard desktop" such as one would be used to when coming from Windows or other systems which provide such functionality, but this seems like a feature that ought to be available and enabled by default.