This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help with desktop (icon) font

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tovian
Registered Member

Help with desktop (icon) font

Sun May 26, 2019 2:37 pm
I am evalutaing the latest (19+) version of Kubuntu. Is there a way to replace the nasty ("I wanna be Microsoft Windows") desktop (icon) font?
I prefer a (light) plain-color desktop background and I want a simple black font under the icons.
THANK YOU
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Help with desktop (icon) font

Sun May 26, 2019 2:56 pm
You can change all fonts in the System Settings

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Tovian
Registered Member

Sun May 26, 2019 3:09 pm
Not the icon font... at least I haven't been able to.
Would you explain exactly how you would do it?
Again, I'm talking about the font (label) under the desktop icons.
THANKS
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Right, I don't even have desktop icons...
Keep in mind that not all changes are immediately visible, you might have to log out and back in again

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Tovian
Registered Member

Sun May 26, 2019 10:41 pm
I have booted numerous times - with no effect.

It used to be easy... in KDE-4 we could just right-click on the desktop and change the font (or characteristics). I can find no way to do it in KDE-5(+) - including changing any/all of the system fonts. If you know how (and have tested to be sure) please let me know. If you do not know how (have never done it) I'll be content to wait for another answer - I reasonably certain SOMEONE will know how to do it.

Again, thank you for your time.
Tovian
Registered Member

Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 pm
I opened the System Settings panel, then hit the F1 key (for help).
From the Contents tab I navigated to Systems Settings Modules - then Fonts
The first illustration (graphic) lists SIX CATEGORIES:
General
Fixed width
Small
Toolbar
Menu
Window title

The text following the illustration details not six but EIGHT CATEGORIES
...INCLUDING... TASKBAR
and DESKTOP
(Font used on the desktop to label icons)

The latter is exactly what I want - just as it's listed in the documentation.
It does not appear in the panel on my machine. I cannot find any place/way to modify either of the last two categories.

I am simply trying to customize my implementation of KDE - not change the world. If I have made some error please point it out. If what I seek is no longer available, please just tell me.
Tovian
Registered Member

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:55 pm
klorax wrote:changing the General font affects the desktop icon font

Thank you - that was partially what I was looking for. However, the font remains white with a shadow. That just doesn't work well with a "light" background. Is there any way to change the color of the font and get rid of that nasty shadow ?

Again, Thanks for your time and help.
Tovian
Registered Member

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm
klorax wrote:Unfortunately that seems to be "hard coded", i.e., it seems you need to edit qml files to change that, see: viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131951

Thank you. Chasing this solution now.

I simply do not understand why the KDE folks, who already had such an elegant way to change all this, suddenly removed it and left users chasing solutions that require altering code. This might be a "tip of the iceberg" for understanding why the Linux Mint team dropped their KDE-based distro altogether. I hated leaving Mint but I'm starting to see that maybe Mint's mindset is the way to go since, in my view, KDE seems to be insensitive to user needs and fairly difficult to work with.

Anyway, I truly appreciate your help. KDE's current status and long-range future are not my problems. When a really good product begins to fail one can usually see the writing on the wall - and it's simply time to move on.