This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I disable the lock screen showing time and date ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kderegistrationishighlyannoying
Registered Member
Hello,

Still using the latest KDE release (can't tell which version as kde has been hiding its version number for a while now) on Arch.

When the screen is locked the screen displays time and date.
I'd like to disable this but there is no option to do so in system settings > workspace > screen locking > appearance.
Searching the web makes it obvious that documentation is not a strength of kde, except if you still use kde 3.5

if you have clues on how I can remove things that KDE insists to add in my lock screen, please share them here.

as a somewhat related matter, for some unexplained reason time and date are displayed in a localized version different from the one set up in my system and kde.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
kderegistrationishighlyannoying wrote:Hello,

Still using the latest KDE release (can't tell which version as kde has been hiding its version number for a while now) on Arch.

You can either type
Code: Select all
plasmashell --version
in a konsole, or you open the Kinfocenter and look at the system information.
When the screen is locked the screen displays time and date.
I'd like to disable this but there is no option to do so in system settings > workspace > screen locking > appearance.

Install another login screen, the date and time are hardcoded in some, but not all.
Searching the web makes it obvious that documentation is not a strength of kde, except if you still use kde 3.5

The KDE Community is made of volunteers, so is the documentation, how about contributing instead of being condescending? AFAIK you are not a paying customer...
as a somewhat related matter, for some unexplained reason time and date are displayed in a localized version different from the one set up in my system and kde.

A version would be nice to have here, as well as checking your LOCALE settings, specifically the LC_TIME=

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kderegistrationishighlyannoying
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:You can either type
plasmashell --version
in a konsole, or you open the Kinfocenter and look at the system information.

I had no idea kinfocenter even existed and how could I learn about its existence ? or even guess the version that had been in the about page for decades had been moved in a deidcated piece of software ?

Similarly how can one guess the KDE version would appear by invoking plasmashell ? I would assume that this would be plasmashell version, not KDE version. Again I had no idea plasmashell existed and had no way to self-discover it.

plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.15.5

Mamarok wrote:Install another login screen, the date and time are hardcoded in some, but not all.

thanks for the advice, but again I am clueless about installing login screen. I've been using the one that came by default for years. Last time I tried meddling with login screen and use another than the default I found out that KDE changes internal stuff, the login screen does not follow suit and I end up with an obsolete or broken login screen that syphons time from me using my computer into trying to fix something that I have no clue about and is not documented.

I'd rather be told where is the config file that I can edit to comment the hard coded part I do not want.

Mamarok wrote:The KDE Community is made of volunteers, so is the documentation, how about contributing instead of being condescending? AFAIK you are not a paying customer...

Wow! thanks to your incredibly motivating message I have only one goal in my life: documenting KDE ! you really know how to talk people into helping... not!

AFAIK if I was a paying customer, which there is no option for as KDE does not offer a paid-for version, chances are the state of documentation would be exactly the same,
as there are many other free software that I am not a paying customer of but feature a proper documentation (python, shaarli, ansible, pelican, borg, etc.).

How could anyone write documentation about something they do not know about ? To write documentation you are required to have knowledge of the matter you are documenting, which disqualifies users like me and makes it obvious writing documentation is restricted to the people who are knowledgeable.

https://docs-as-co.de/
https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/

Mamarok wrote:A version would be nice to have here, as well as checking your LOCALE settings, specifically the LC_TIME=

Indeed! I'm wondering what the heck went through the mind of the person who decided removing the version and hiding many useful information and renaming applications was a good and practical idea. kinfocenter does hold the required information but was thoughtfully made impossible to copy to make it impratical to use and out of reach of unskilled users.
here are the version from kinfocenter:

If I knew how to check LC_TIME settings I would post it too, but I don't. Maybe you can point to which par of [url="https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/"]KDE documentation[/url] holds the info on how to do that I'd be happy to find it and post it.
Until then I'll assume it is en_US.UTF-8 which is the only one I selected during installation, but I suppose something somewhere in KDE either use a different locale or some process has replaced my locale definition at some point.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, the problem lies in what you think is KDE:

KDE is the community who makes software and all the things related to, what you actually use on your desktop is called Plasma, the thing that runs the Graphical User Interface (GUI) is called a shell, hence plasmashell.

Nobody said you were supposed to know, you asked a question, I gave you the answer, so no need to be aggressive about this. We try to answer all questions, but again, this is a volunteer based community, so a little patience is usually recommended. You might get faster answers in the #kde channel on IRC, or by browsing our User oriented wiki you can find at https://userbase.kde.org

If I knew how to check LC_TIME settings I would post it too, but I don't.

Type
 locale
to get the information.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...