This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Confused by notifications system

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dirtside
Registered Member

Confused by notifications system

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:43 pm
I'm using Kubuntu 18.04. In my system tray widget there's a "Notifications" icon. I'm a little confused about how this is supposed to work.

For example, if I use
Code: Select all
notify-send Hello
to trigger a notification, what I see is a little box pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen that contains the text of the notification, as expected. But the Notifications icon does not change: it's a light gray ! inside a circle, on a dark gray background, both before and after I send the notification. If I click on the Notifications icon, the message I sent is there in the "History" list. But why doesn't the icon itself change? If I happen to be looking away from the screen during the 5 seconds the notification is present, or I'm not around, when I get back there's no indicator that I missed a notification.

Is this by design, or is it a bug?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Confused by notifications system

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 pm
you can configure the notification duration, did you try that? App notifications can be left open until you click on them, so you don't miss messages or mail.
Moving this thread to Appearance and System customization subfolder.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dirtside
Registered Member

Re: Confused by notifications system

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:57 am
Yeah, I can configure the duration when using notify-send, but there isn't usually any way to configure the duration of notifications sent by Chrome (e.g. Gmail) or other apps. And anyway, from a UX standpoint, putting a really long notification time isn't a great choice, because there's no sweet spot. Either the duration is short enough that I'm likely to miss it, or it's so long that I'm forced to manually dismiss notifications all the time, which is irritating. Not to mention that if several notifications occur, they take up a bunch of screen real estate.

It's hard to fathom the logic behind a notification widget that doesn't let you know when there's a pending notification. The whole point of such things is to be able to glance down for a fraction of a second and see if there's something pending. Applications in the task bar can change their icon or text to get your attention. 20 years ago, ICQ's system tray icon would change to let me know there was a pending message (and with a quick key combo I could activate and raise the message window), and countless other programs have used a similar metaphor and UX design. But with KDE the design choice seems to be popping up notifications instead of queueing them, and I'm wondering what the design logic is behind that.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You do know you have a notification history, don't you? So if you fear you miss something, cleaning your history before going afk could be a solution, no?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...