This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to change programs top left icon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
llarruda
Registered Member
OS
I am using KDE Plasma Version 5.17.0 on openSUSE Tumbleweed, I would like to know how to change the icon on the top left of the programs. I can create a desktop launcher, but the top left corner never changes, I guess it's a matter of configuration in KDE.

Please, take a look at pic, the app Insomnia has the icon, that it is sets through desktop entry at /usr/share/applicationsm but on the left corner has a 'X' icon, and I want have the Insomnia icon there:

https://ibb.co/NZz4w55
the x-icon on top left that I can't change
Mamarok
Manager
OS
What happens when you right click on this icon? Looks like it has a pin next to it, so maybe you just need to unpin it. Might also be helpful to tell what it actually does when you left click on it, it must have a purpose.

I doubt this is Plasma related, as it looks very much like a generic X-Window icon.

If this is from a menu entry: you can change any icon of menu entries in Plasma, right click, edit "applications", select the entry and click on the icon.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
llarruda
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:What happens when you right click on this icon? Looks like it has a pin next to it, so maybe you just need to unpin it. Might also be helpful to tell what it actually does when you left click on it, it must have a purpose.

I doubt this is Plasma related, as it looks very much like a generic X-Window icon.

If this is from a menu entry: you can change any icon of menu entries in Plasma, right click, edit "applications", select the entry and click on the icon.

Hello! Thanks by reply!

The pin option refers to put or not application in evidence at all virtual desktops. At 'Edit application ...' option I can see that current icon for KDE is what I did set in desktop entry file. Please see the pic: https://ibb.co/FY24dGY

But when I alter through applications with 'Alt + tab', I see the X-icon instead of Insomnia Icon defined in desktop entry and correctly shown at KDE 'Edit application ...' option, follow another pic: https://ibb.co/KyjxT2b

Does this help identify what can be configured?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can only guess, but I suppose Insomnia is not a Qt or GTK--based application, which could explain why the icon doesn't show.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
llarruda
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I can only guess, but I suppose Insomnia is not a Qt or GTK--based application, which could explain why the icon doesn't show.

It make sense, because t's a generic version of Insomnia, an appImage for a non-specific distro, for those that doesn't have a app own version. I did imagine that can customize that, but I don't knew that relation with toolkits.

Thank you so much!