This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

click mouse on the panel bar to minimize windows system tray

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cmeys
Registered Member
Hello,

My question is why I can not, unlike what happens with other distributions as with Windows, use the left click of the mousse, on any free space of the panel bar to minimize the windows opened, of the system tray.

If anyone can explain how it can be modified to make this happen, very grateful.

Best regards.
cmeys
Registered Member
I m sorry, I just read that we can't ask questions here. Please, if someone can move this post to the corresponding sector. Thanks.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'm not sure what you read, as I think this is certainly a reasonable place to ask questions such as this.

I think the main reason the feature isn't available (by default) is that it isn't very discoverable and may be a little surprising (primarily from the perspective of that the panel is really just a container for widgets, so clicking on the blank space in a panel that perhaps only displays the date and some quick-launchers has little reason to minimize the windows; however, a task manager widget likely expands to fill the space in the panel that is available to it, and could thus define the behavior for the space around it).

You could check the alternative task manager widgets (including those available on the KDE store which can be downloaded via the Get New WIdgets button on the Add Widgets panel to see if there are any alternatives available which allow assigning such a shortcut.

Alternatively, there are widgets available which can be added to the panel for minimizing the windows or showing the desktop (the difference being what happens when you hit them twice or are done interacting with the desktop)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
cmeys
Registered Member
How are you. First of all, thanks for your reply.

airdrik wrote:I'm not sure what you read, as I think this is certainly a reasonable place to ask questions such as this.

When I wrote this it is because I was in another subforum, in which, after having asked the question, I read that it was not the sector to ask questions. For this reason I wrote the second post.

I think the main reason the feature isn't available (by default) is that it isn't very discoverable and may be a little surprising (primarily from the perspective of that the panel is really just a container for widgets, so clicking on the blank space in a panel that perhaps only displays the date and some quick-launchers has little reason to minimize the windows; however, a task manager widget likely expands to fill the space in the panel that is available to it, and could thus define the behavior for the space around it).

You could check the alternative task manager widgets (including those available on the KDE store which can be downloaded via the Get New WIdgets button on the Add Widgets panel to see if there are any alternatives available which allow assigning such a shortcut.

Alternatively, there are widgets available which can be added to the panel for minimizing the windows or showing the desktop (the difference being what happens when you hit them twice or are done interacting with the desktop)

I understand your analysis, and thanks for your recommendation. I will progressively study the subject further. Relatively recently I entered the world of Linux, and I was testing several other distros, such as Ubuntu (Gnome), Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and finally split the hard disk for two distros, Linux Mint and Kubuntu. I have other PCs with windows, which are the ones I use for my work, because at the moment I am trying to familiarize myself (with my null knowledge of programming) with Linux.
And, as I said at the beginning, I was very attracted to the fact that the icons in the notification area, such as the date, volume, internet connection, external disk icon, etc., that I normally have in the Windows bar, as well as Linux Mint (and other non-KDE distro), when opened they can be closed (minimized) with a simple left mouse click on the same bar (also on the desktop and on the same icon). But in KDE you can only minimize (close) with a left click on the desktop or on the corresponding icon, but not on the rest of the bar that is free of icons. I think it is practical that this option is enabled by default, because otherwise it forces anyone who is working on concentrating to place the mouse arrow just below the icon, and also avoids opening desktop windows, which are activated by clicking the mouse.

Best regards.
cmeys
Registered Member
The topic was not solved.

I still cannot minimize notifications/maximized windows, from the Panel Task Manager sector, using the left click in the empty space of the panel.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
cmeys wrote:The topic was not solved.

I still cannot minimize notifications/maximized windows, from the Panel Task Manager sector, using the left click in the empty space of the panel.

Why click on an empty space? that makes no sense to me, just click on the icon in the Task Manager in the panel and the window will minimise or show again, depending on its previous state. Works perfectly fine for me here, and out of the box, no configuration needed to do so.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
cmeys
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:

Why click on an empty space? that makes no sense to me, just click on the icon in the Task Manager in the panel and the window will minimise or show again, depending on its previous state. Works perfectly fine for me here, and out of the box, no configuration needed to do so.

Hello, thanks for your opinion.

In Windows as in the other Linux distro that I have used, such as Ubuntu, Xubuntu, lubuntu, Mint, among others not KDE, when you open the internet connection icon, the volume, language, etc. icon, in the sector of notifications of the panel (or bar), it is not necessary to go to the icon for that opened window (notifications) to close them again, since just going to any empty space of the bar (or panel) or even the desktop, it is minimized or closed (I don't know exactly how some call it this process, to minimize or to close the notification).
It is a matter of practicality: if I am very focused on the subject I am working on, what I least want is to concentrate on minor issues such as going to place the mouse pointer on the icon ... more when the icons are small.
But also yes in KDE you can minimized (close) the notifications opened (volume, internet connection, etc) if you left click anywhere on the desktop ... Then, why is is possible to minimize if you click on the desktop and not at any point on the panel? I am used to working like this on Windows, and I see that other non-KDE distros also work the same way, so that is why I was surprised that KDE does not work the same way.
cmeys
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:

[plasmashell] [Bug 367815] Panel's widgets' expanded representations should close when user clicks on an empty area of the task manager