This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Missing Desktop Effects

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tedhe
Registered Member

Missing Desktop Effects

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:13 am
I currently an using Fedora workstation 31 with the KDE Desktop. I love it overall but the one big issue i have, big being a relative term, is that in 31, some of the desktop effects are missing, I notice I can’t get some of the desktop effects such as magic lamp, fall apart, and wobbly windows. They don’t even show in the list in desktop behavior-desktop effects unless I go to configure filter, uncheck exclude desktop effects not supported by the compositor, then they show and I can choose them, but it won’t allow me to save them, thus making them inoperable. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help on this issue that is driving me a little buggy as somewhat novice.
kde-cfeck
Registered Member

Re: Missing Desktop Effects

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:00 pm
This happens when you are only using XRender compositing, instead of OpenGL compositing. KWin itself might have switched the compositing type because it detected unstable OpenGL drivers.

If you are sure your OpenGL drivers are working, please switch back to OpenGL compositing using:

kcmshell5 kwincompositing
tedhe
Registered Member

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 pm
kde-cfeck wrote:This happens when you are only using XRender compositing, instead of OpenGL compositing. KWin itself might have switched the compositing type because it detected unstable OpenGL drivers.

If you are sure your OpenGL drivers are working, please switch back to OpenGL compositing using:

kcmshell5 kwincompositing

Actually, I had it set to OpenGL 3.1. I tried it with OpenGL 2.0 as well to no avail. It was never in XRender
gothaf
Registered Member

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:39 pm
I experience the same thing. Here are the system information.

Operating System: KDE neon 5.17
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.66.0
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-26-lowlatency
OS Type: 64-bit

I didn't realize it immediately, but somewhere between the upgrade from plasma 5.17.3 to 5.17.4 or to 5.17.5, desktop effects like blur, background contrast, magic lamp and a few others have moved to the unsupported effects and are no longer working.
Compositor is activated and the rendering method was always set to OpenGL 3.1.

How do we fix this?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:56 pm
Unsupported very likely means that they have no active development anymore, so those will very likely disappear in the future unless somebody actively maintains them.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
aletheus
Registered Member

Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:33 pm
i'm having this problem as well,

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-33-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620
ajax
Registered Member

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 pm
Same issue here...can provide details if anyone reaches out
4c3.code
Registered Member

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:04 pm
Hello i got the solution... You have to go to the github of kde after go to KWin and download zip after replace the folder that got the old kwin with the new.
(GITHUB LINK: https://github.com/KDE/kwin)

:) :) :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:53 am
4c3.code wrote:Hello i got the solution... You have to go to the github of kde after go to KWin and download zip after replace the folder that got the old kwin with the new.
(GITHUB LINK: https://github.com/KDE/kwin)

:) :) :)

Yes, that is a possibility, but running unsupported effects in versions not supported anymore will very likely get you in trouble at some point, and you will get no support for it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...