This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing wallpaper, with one image, thats updated n minutes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mcoulter
Registered Member
X86BSD wrote:I did not. I did try to download the ugh the one it starts with a V and its the top listed one. But when installed I could not find it anywhere. Like I don't know where to find it. It's not in the settings for Configure Desktop -> wallpaper. I searched for it and nothing. I honestly don't know where it is after installing it.

I will go give the one you suggest a try and see if that works.

And I agree about the bug report. You said exactly what I was thinking when I read the post saying it isnt a bug and not worth fixing. I was like Uhhhhhh.....*blink*.
Although I suspect that answer was a direct result of why this has been noted and not fixed since 2016. It's probably a HUGE PITA, and no one wants to touch it. So they keep hoping it will simply go away and people like us will stop wanting it to do what it should do.

I tried Vallpaper and could not find it in the list. I went to the homepage https://store.kde.org/p/1197828/ and followed the install instructions there. You have to use the install.sh script, once you run that it shows up in the list. It behaves exactly like everything else (I am not surprised) and does not pick up the image change. :( There is a feature to use an URL. I tested it with this URL http://hbcams.com/hbpnorth.jpg and it does work. However, when it refreshes the background changes to a solid color until the new image loads. You could setup a webserver on your computer and then point Vallpaper to the localhost. I am going to try this route: install a webserver on my local machine. Write some html (php) code to serve up a random image, I already have the php code.

On a side note, I do like how I can set different wallpapers for my different virtual desktops.
X86BSD
Registered Member
mcoulter wrote:
X86BSD wrote:I did not. I did try to download the ugh the one it starts with a V and its the top listed one. But when installed I could not find it anywhere. Like I don't know where to find it. It's not in the settings for Configure Desktop -> wallpaper. I searched for it and nothing. I honestly don't know where it is after installing it.

I will go give the one you suggest a try and see if that works.

And I agree about the bug report. You said exactly what I was thinking when I read the post saying it isnt a bug and not worth fixing. I was like Uhhhhhh.....*blink*.
Although I suspect that answer was a direct result of why this has been noted and not fixed since 2016. It's probably a HUGE PITA, and no one wants to touch it. So they keep hoping it will simply go away and people like us will stop wanting it to do what it should do.

I tried Vallpaper and could not find it in the list. I went to the homepage https://store.kde.org/p/1197828/ and followed the install instructions there. You have to use the install.sh script, once you run that it shows up in the list. It behaves exactly like everything else (I am not surprised) and does not pick up the image change. :( There is a feature to use an URL. I tested it with this URL http://hbcams.com/hbpnorth.jpg and it does work. However, when it refreshes the background changes to a solid color until the new image loads. You could setup a webserver on your computer and then point Vallpaper to the localhost. I am going to try this route: install a webserver on my local machine. Write some html (php) code to serve up a random image, I already have the php code.

On a side note, I do like how I can set different wallpapers for my different virtual desktops.

Ugh yeah this is clearly a bug. The devs need to stop sweeping this under the rug and fix it. The url loading is kind of nice from what you describe. But the desktop should work correctly to begin with. :/