This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laptop screen stays on when lid is closed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pantale
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I have a little problem under Plasma 5.17.3.
I have an XPS 13 7390 laptop and using 2 external monitors through thunderbold.
When external monitors are on and lid is closed, the built-in displays stays switched on. I still have three monitors on.

If I switch to a Gnome session, it works, when lid is closed, I only have two monitors and lid open, I have three.

Olivier
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you check the settings in System Settings -> Hardware -> Power Management?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pantale
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Did you check the settings in System Settings -> Hardware -> Power Management?

Yes, of course, everything is fine in this section for me.
I want only the build-in monitor to be switched off, not all monitors.
Nothing in this section is proposed to drive one or the other monitor independently one from the other ones.

Olivier
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I only have one external monitor connected but it works quite fine, the laptop screen is switched off and the external remains active when I close the lid. What exactly are your settings in the Power Management?

This is my setting: Image

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pantale
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I only have one external monitor connected but it works quite fine, the laptop screen is switched off and the external remains active when I close the lid. What exactly are your settings in the Power Management?

I cannot answer you today because I'm not in my office today. Will check this tomorrow.

Olivier
pantale
Registered Member
OS
I tested this morning.

If I put the exact same parameters as yours (switch off screen when lid is closed even if an external monitor is connected).
All monitors are switched off when I close the lid.

Olivier
Mamarok
Manager
OS
interesting, my external monitor flickers for split second and then stays on, taking over the windows from the now deactivated screen. You might file a bug report about this.

pantale
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:interesting, my external monitor flickers for split second and then stays on, taking over the windows from the now deactivated screen. You might file a bug report about this.

I have changed my default manager from gdm3 to sddm, and now it seems to work correctly.

Olivier
pantale
Registered Member
OS
pantale wrote:
Mamarok wrote:interesting, my external monitor flickers for split second and then stays on, taking over the windows from the now deactivated screen. You might file a bug report about this.

I have changed my default manager from gdm3 to sddm, and now it seems to work correctly.

Olivier

Oups....
Except the fact that this morning, without changing anything to my previous configuration (the one that worked yesterday, using sddm), it doesn't work anymore.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Strange, maybe you should file a bug about this.

pantale
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Strange, maybe you should file a bug about this.

I think that the problem is fixed now.
I found that by killing the kded5 daemon and relaunching it manually, this solved the problem.

Seems strange, but I though this was related to a bad autologin configuration file.
I manually removed the kde_settings.conf file (in /etc/sddm.conf.d) to restore the sddm login prompt. No other way to do this through the graphical interface since it was not proposed in plasma 5.17 to suppress the autologin option. In fact the rights on the kde_settings.conf file were -rw------- so only root could read/write the file.

I re-enabled the autologin option, so now the rights on the kde_settings.conf file are -rw-r--r--

An the lid open/close is now working.

So wait and see, hope it's definitively solved.
pantale
Registered Member
OS
After one week of work, my final conclusion is the following:

I had to remove the auto-login option in the SDDM configuration to make the problem solved. Even with the new 5.17.4 plasma version.

If I set on the auto-login option in the SDDM options, then, the laptop monitor doesn't switch off when I close the lid. If I log in through the SDDM interface at boot by entering my password, then everything is fine.

Hopefully, the sleep option is working fine, so I don't turn off the laptop very often. Maybe, this can be reported as a bug, I don't know if I have to and where to report it.

Olivier
Mamarok
Manager
OS
pantale wrote:Maybe, this can be reported as a bug, I don't know if I have to and where to report it.

You can report it here: https://bugs.kde.org