This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin isn't run with Meta+D even with defined shortcut

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ychaouche
Registered Member
OS
Pressing Meta+D together won't launch dolphin https://imgur.com/a/rZv3uc9
I have the same problem with the Printscreen key defined for spectacle that doesn't run spectacle https://imgur.com/a/TVhEpR8
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Might be keyboard specific, some laptop keyboards tend to be a bit tricky to setup. Print Screen works fine for me for Spectacle, Meta+D doesn't for Dolphin, but no wonder, as that shortcut is actually Meta+E, or did you change it?

Please always state your Plasma version, as there are different Neon versions out there.

FWIW: post move to another subforum, as shortcuts are in the System Settings

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
ychaouche
Registered Member
OS
Thank you mamarok. I am using Kubuntu 19.10, plasma Version: 4:5.16.5-0ubuntu1. I have changed the default keyboard shortcut to Meta+D as shown in the capture https://imgur.com/a/rZv3uc9

The keyboard is a standard cherry desktop with french azerty layout.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Works flawlessly for me here, both on a Lenovo Yoga and on a standard Cherry, I haven't tried the French layout, though, but normally this should not have an influence for the Global Shortcuts.

Please check that your keyboard layout is set correctly in the Keyboard settings, I don't see why it shouldn't work for you, we have the same distribution, and Plasma basically didn't change anything on the Shortcuts between version 5.16 and 5.17 AFAICT

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
ychaouche
Registered Member
OS
I guess I need to check the keyboard model then https://i.imgur.com/1IJyeGR.png, I don't know how to do that for the moment. I'll try random generic models and see from there.

EDIT : my keyboard seems to be a CHERRY RS 6000 M, but it's not listed in the hardware selection menu. I tried the Generic 105 keys, still no spectacle nor dolphin :(
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you check the layout visually?

Did you modify the system in some way by adding packages from other sources than the Kubuntu ones, or remove basic settings?

The only explanation I have is that you somehow miss a library or there was a hiccup when you installed the system, as it really works fine here.

Of course you can upgrade to Plasma 5.17 by activating the backport PPAs, but I doubt there is something different when it comes to the shortcuts.

ychaouche
Registered Member
OS

I don't know how to do that. I can't find such thing in system settings > input devices > keyboard. Do you have any suggestion ?

Did you modify the system in some way by adding packages from other sources than the Kubuntu ones

I didn't touch the repos

or remove basic settings?

What I remember doing is customize look and feel, change keyboard model and layout and added/modified some keyboard shortcuts (most of which work)

The only explanation I have is that you somehow miss a library or there was a hiccup when you installed the system, as it really works fine here.

Well, if anyone has any idea, I'm only open to suggestions :p I'm not saying this is a bug in KDE, I'm only looking for help to troubleshoot what's wrong with my installation.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
ychaouche wrote:

I don't know how to do that. I can't find such thing in system settings > input devices > keyboard. Do you have any suggestion ?

There is an option to configure layouts, if you activate it you can preview the chosen one and/or add additional keyboards. Usually, adding a standard US layout can sometimes come handy, and it will appear in the system tray as a flag.
ychaouche wrote:

Well, if anyone has any idea, I'm only open to suggestions :p I'm not saying this is a bug in KDE, I'm only looking for help to troubleshoot what's wrong with my installation.

I remember from another post you removed the keybinding of the Meta key, could this be related?

ychaouche
Registered Member
OS
I remember from another post you removed the keybinding of the Meta key, could this be related?

Unlikely. I have other keybindings with the Meta key that work well, for example Meta+e for emacs, Meta+k for konsole, Meta+shift+k for konversation and so on.

As for the keyboard layout, I only see a text box where you can test (visible) keys. Unfortunately I can't test for PrnScreen this way.

https://i.imgur.com/rEd5eCd.png

The other tab (layout) don't have a visual display of the keyboard model

https://i.imgur.com/0ARYhlQ.png
Mamarok
Manager
OS
ychaouche wrote:The other tab (layout) don't have a visual display of the keyboard model

https://i.imgur.com/0ARYhlQ.png

Yes it does, click on the french keyboard line below, then you will see the button "Preview" available...

ychaouche
Registered Member
OS
Oh right ! it was greyed out so I didn't pay attention to it :p ok keyboard preview seems pretty close to the real keyboard I'm using, except for the return key which spans on two rows instead of being on a single row, and the astersik key being next to 'ù' instead of next to '$'. Other than that, the other keys are in the same place as they are displayed in the preview.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That is strange, though, the asterisk should be in the correct place, maybe try a few of the Cherry layouts in the Hardware tab.