This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin background disappearing (white background)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aimanm
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to use Dolphin on Ubuntu Studio 19.10 (Xfce) recently and it works really well, just one problem is bugging me: Whenever windows change focus, Dolphin loses its filesystem background and it becomes white.

This is especially problematic, since I usually use a dark theme and it makes the text unreadable. I have already tried a lot of options, edited all the colors in Qt5ct (which does work) and added a couple of stylesheet-fixes I found online, but I can't get it working. Whatever I try, as soon as Dolphin loses focus, the background disappears / becomes white.

I realise this is primarily a KDE (-Plasma) forum, but do you have any idea what could cause this or what I could try to fix it, by any chance?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Which Qt theme do you have selected (in qt5ct)?
If you pick a different Qt theme (and restart dolphin), does the problem persist?

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
aimanm
Registered Member
Hi airdrik,

it doesn't appear to matter which theme I select, there are different options available: Gtk2, Plastique, Windows, Fusion and a couple others. When I change the theme with all the fixes/stylesheets enabled, I can actually change the background color for a while, but as soon as I open a new tab or close Dolphin, I have a white background again.

I've temporarily settled on just changing the theme to Fusion and using a bright color scheme so that I can basically use it. It's not perfect, but I don't dislike the bright color theme and it basically only affects Dolphin, so I can live with that. However, it is a weird problem.

If there is anything to try out, just tell me and I'll try to get to the roots of this.
loopier
Registered Member
I know this is an old post but I'm having this issue using qt5ct on a non-KDE WM without DE.

Is it solvable?

EDIT:
I found the "solution" (more of a hack) in this post: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/457673/dark-theme-in-dolphin-file-manager.
Note that the Dolphin has to be launched specifying the stylesheet path.