This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Touchpad settings does not take effect

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kdeuser888
Registered Member
Hi,

I have a new XPS13 7390 laptop with KDE Plasma 5.17.4 and framework 5.65.0. Sometimes after reboot my touchpad settings does not take effect. One setting that I really notice is the pointer speed. The touchpad settings GUI shows it is set to MAX after reboot but the pointer speed is REALLY slow. If I try to set it to a low value, apply. and then set it back to MAX the speed does not change. However, if I reboot _sometimes_ the touchpad settings seems to be applied. And sometimes it is not applied after reboot but _sometimes_ it helps to set the speed to low and then back to MAX again and it takes effect immediately.

The interesting part that might explain some of this is that sometimes the Touchpad (System) Settings GUI shows Device: "[CUST0001:00 06CB:76AF Touchpad" and sometimes it shows Device: "[SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad]" after reboot (and the device drop down is greyed out so I cannot change it). I have not double-confirmed this yet but I _think_ that when the GUI shows Device: "[SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad]" the settings does not work properly....

So what is going on here? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
apeironian
Registered Member
I have precisely the same problem. XPS 13 2-in-1 7390, up to date KDE Plasma on Manjaro.

I can also confirm that manually adjusting touchpad speed via xinput DOES work, even when adjusting it via the system settings GUI does not.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
i wonder if this is not a driver problem, what kernel do you guys use?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kdeuser888
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:i wonder if this is not a driver problem, what kernel do you guys use?

I am running Arch Linux so pretty up-to-date. Seem to work better now. Currently running KDE Plasma version 5.19.5/KDE Frameworks Version 5.73.0.

Code: Select all
Linux xxxx 5.8.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:59:45 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux