This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

tablet - emulate right mouse button by long press

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
herrdeh
Registered Member
Hello,

still trying to get around with ubuntu 19 and plasma 5.15.4 on the rest of a medion convertible - which should be quite a nice amd64 tablet. Scuh I hope. What I'm really missing is the right mouse button - normally achieved with a long-press. That works nicely in firefox, which generates this behaviour on its own - but not system wide.

I found a control "system settings > input devices > touchpad settings", where I could (as I understand) set "two finger tap" as right mouse button. But that control says "no touchpad found".

So
  • can I either set up long-press as right mouse button or
  • tell the system how to handle the touch screen as touch pad ?
Cheers,
Wolf
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Touchpad recognition sometimes needs specific hardware drivers, did you google for your specific laptop make? Plasma is not doing hardware mounting, that is left to the underlying Linux system

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
herrdeh
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Touchpad recognition sometimes needs specific hardware drivers, did you google for your specific laptop make? Plasma is not doing hardware mounting, that is left to the underlying Linux system

Thank you for your thoughts. But on my tablet I have got a close to perfectly functional touch screen. So my conclusion is that the Linux system recognizes and handles the touch screen properly. The only thing I'm missing is a way to generate an input which the system can interpret as "right mouse button pressed". Who else could do that than the desktop environment?

I tried touchegg and easystroke - but both of them more seem to deal with gestures than with mouse clicks.

Cheers,
Wolf
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't think touchpad and touchscreen are handled the same way at all, one is through the touchpad driver similar to the mouse handling, the other one is directly dependent on the graphical system (XOrg/Wayland/etc)

I have never seen an option to configure my touchscreen here on the Yoga 510 and my understanding was that some of the limitations for touchscreen handling were in the XOrg subsystem and should be resolved once switched to Wayland.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
herrdeh
Registered Member
In the meanwhile, I had certain success with manjaro Linux KDE. I summarized steps and struggles here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/tablet-howto-draft-for-a-wiki-page-help-appreciated/121979.