This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

font size issues

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mattdawolf
Registered Member

font size issues

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 am
Hello. I am unsure where to post this, but System Settings seemed like the logical place.

I have been using KDE on and off for over 10 years. I recently started using it again about a month and a half ago. Everything has been stable and working great, but within the last week, fonts for certain applications have certainly been appearing as small. I don't know what triggered this change.

Firefox, thunderbird, blender are apps I've noticed so far.

At first I thought it was a gtk settings problem somehow being reset. GTK-chtheme and qt font settings were all set to what they should be, at 28 or 32. I logged out, logged into gnome, and the font size appeared as it should be. So I think it's something in KDE specifically.

gtk-query-settings returns a font of Sans 10, but I am unsure where this is reading its settings from.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: font size issues

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm
Could you give some more precisions about your exact Plasma version and distribution?

Also what did you do before you noticed the change?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mattdawolf
Registered Member

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:05 pm
Many thanks for the response. I am unsure what I could've done to effect this. I haven't done an apt-get upgrade in quite some time. To complicate matters, I have been out of town for the week so this is the nasty little surprise that I came back to.

ubuntu 19.10
Plasma 5.16.5
KDE Frameworks 5.62.0
Qt 5.12.4 (built against 5.12.4)
The xcb windowing system

I can cut the tails of root and user's bash history if that would help?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:40 pm
Did you check your settings in System Settings -> Application Style -> Gnome/GTK application style? You might need to tweak something there.

FWIW: There is Plasma 5.17 in the Kubuntu backports since quite some time, might be an idea

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mattdawolf
Registered Member

Re: font size issues  Topic is solved

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:47 pm
Mamarok wrote:Did you check your settings in System Settings -> Application Style -> Gnome/GTK application style? You might need to tweak something there.

FWIW: There is Plasma 5.17 in the Kubuntu backports since quite some time, might be an idea

So in all of the gtk config settings, the fonts were their proper size at 32. Changing to 28, then back to 32 oddly restored the proper font sizes. Bizarre. Much thanks for the help.