This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Run command box: Alt+F2 shortcut won't work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sbelkin
Registered Member
Hi,

If I press Alt+F2 keyboard shortcut does nothing.

In Global Shortcuts - System Settings, I set Alt+F2 for Run Command, but it does not work.

It's somewhat weird that Alt+Space is shown as default (that it does not work either). Also if I press Alt+F2 into konsole window it prints a "Q".

plasma version is 5.17.5 on Fedora 31.

Is it a bug? If not, How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Krunner is triggered by Ctrl+Space, not Alt+Space

Setting the alternative to Alt+F2 just works.

Konsole shortcuts are Konsole specific, as this is a terminal application, not GUI dependent. You can set them in the Konsole menu.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
schirmeier
Registered Member
When upgrading from Ubuntu 19.10 (eoan) to 20.04 (focal), which updated Plasma from 5.16.5 to 5.18.2, I experienced exactly the same issue: Alt-F2 (and Alt-Space) stopped working, while e.g. Ctrl-Alt-T for a new terminal continued working fine. Alt-F2 instead gave me a "Q" character in an open terminal.

Steps that fixed the problem for me:
- Go to System Settings, Shortcuts, Global Shortcuts.
- Under "Other Shortcuts", pick "Run Command". There, remove the shortcuts for "Run command", modify both "Global" (set "Custom: None") and "Global Alternate" (set "Default: None").
- Under "Application Launcher", pick "KRunner". There, add the shortcut(s) you want for "KRunner", e.g. the defaults for "Global" (Alt-Space) and "Global Alternate" (Alt-F2).
(Probably do the same for "Run command on clipboard contents".)

Unified diff of ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc before/after fix:
Code: Select all
--- ../.config-old/kglobalshortcutsrc   2020-03-06 11:29:57.866381192 +0100
+++ kglobalshortcutsrc   2020-03-06 11:44:41.384707051 +0100
@@ -42,13 +42,13 @@

[krunner]
 _k_friendly_name=Run Command
-run command=Alt+Space\tAlt+F2\tSearch,Alt+Space,Run Command
+run command=\t\tSearch,Alt+Space,Run Command
 run command on clipboard contents=Alt+Shift+F2,Alt+Shift+F2,Run Command on clipboard contents

[krunner.desktop]
 RunClipboard=,Alt+Shift+F2,Run command on clipboard contents
 _k_friendly_name=KRunner
-_launch=\t\t,Alt+Space\tAlt+F2\tSearch,KRunner
+_launch=Alt+Space\tAlt+F2,Alt+Space\tAlt+F2\tSearch,KRunner

[ksmserver]
 Halt Without Confirmation=Ctrl+Alt+Shift+PgDown,none,Halt Without Confirmation
mtk0
Registered Member
i have the exact same problem (symptoms). there is no '[krunner]' phrase in my ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc file, though, only the '[krunner.desktop]' phrase. on another laptop, the same is true yet Alt-F2 still works correctly. i've been monkeying around with xmodmap & emacs in order to liberate all of my shift keys. yes, Control + Meta + Alt + Super + Hyper + Shift all work now! but since i chose to make Alt_L generate the keysym Meta_L, i attempted to bind the krunner shortcut in system settings to Meta-F2. no success. in fact, attempting to bind krunner shortcut to *anything* fails to work. very, very buggy software (sigh).
vergilsi
Registered Member
Same issue here after upgrading from 19.10 to 20.04 :'( :'( :'(
caco3
Registered Member
schirmeier wrote:Steps that fixed the problem for me:
- Go to System Settings, Shortcuts, Global Shortcuts.
- Under "Other Shortcuts", pick "Run Command". There, remove the shortcuts for "Run command", modify both "Global" (set "Custom: None") and "Global Alternate" (set "Default: None").
- Under "Application Launcher", pick "KRunner". There, add the shortcut(s) you want for "KRunner", e.g. the defaults for "Global" (Alt-Space) and "Global Alternate" (Alt-F2).
(Probably do the same for "Run command on clipboard contents".)

Same issue in an upgrade of kubuntu 19.10 -> 20.04.
Your instructions worked for me as well, thank you!