This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma widget for Gnote

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mihaela-prkos
Registered Member
OS

Plasma widget for Gnote

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:14 pm
Is there any way to get the Gnote app as a widget on KDE panel?

I tried the native widget but it's very stark in features.

I'd like a widget that is an icon on a panel, and when the icon is clicked it shows a list of recently edited notes and a search notes field that filters the list.

I couldn't find an existing widget for Gnote directly, so I'm guessing there isn't one.

Can similar functionality be achieved through some other widget? Maybe some launcher?

I'm open to suggestions to replacement apps too. I can't use Knote unfortunately, because Akonadi isn't working.

Kubuntu 19.10, Plasma 5.16.5, Frameworks 5.62.0, Qt 5.12.4, Kernel 5.3.0-40-generic
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma widget for Gnote

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm
You might check out knotes (which may be part of the kde-pim package), which I believe provides a similar experience to using Gnote.

Also, with Gnote open, the list of notes may show up when you right-click on its task-bar (or system tray?) icon.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
mihaela-prkos
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma widget for Gnote

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 pm
I did try KNote, I thought I might migrate my notes there, since I'm switching from GNOME to KDE, but Akonadi isn't working :'( I also had the same problem with KOrganizer.

Ironic that I switch from GNOME to KDE and then the KDE apps I used to use on GNOME aren't working now on KDE.

When I open Gnote the taskbar button just opens the window with the notes list, nothing happens outside that window. It will have to be good enough for now, although it's a lot more clicks to get to the right note.

Kubuntu 19.10, Plasma 5.16.5, Frameworks 5.62.0, Qt 5.12.4, Kernel 5.3.0-40-generic