This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dark theme and the titlebar color

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
amiramix
Registered Member

Dark theme and the titlebar color

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:04 am
I am using a dark theme in KDE5 Plasma. Very often the body of the window and the titlebar are the same color. In a normal (non-dark) theme the titlebar is always of a different color than the body so that one can easily see where to click. But it seems that all the dark themes I have tried use the same color for body and titlebar.

I was looking for an option to change just the titlebar color but couldn't find one. There is only an option to change the whole theme.

Can anyone recommend a good dark theme where the titlebar is of a different color than the rest of the dark-themed window?
Or does anyone know if/how to change the titlebar color within a given theme?
jacobseated
Registered Member
amiramix wrote:I am using a dark theme in KDE5 Plasma. Very often the body of the window and the titlebar are the same color. In a normal (non-dark) theme the titlebar is always of a different color than the body so that one can easily see where to click. But it seems that all the dark themes I have tried use the same color for body and titlebar.

I was looking for an option to change just the titlebar color but couldn't find one. There is only an option to change the whole theme.

Can anyone recommend a good dark theme where the titlebar is of a different color than the rest of the dark-themed window?
Or does anyone know if/how to change the titlebar color within a given theme?

You probably need to use the right icon theme. When using a dark theme, there is both a dark and a light version for icons, and you need to use the one that fits with your theme.

Using the .appimage might also be a help. I am not entirely sure how I got it fixed now, but I used to have the same problem, and not just with Kdenlive.

I just fixed the same problem with LibreOffice, and I had to change something inside the settings of LibreOffice, so it sometimes also seems to depend on the application how to fix it..
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I think you may be providing a solution for a different problem - that of the toolbar buttons/icons not being visible due to blending in with the background, while the OP seems to be looking for how to configure the titlebar to be a different color from the rest of the window.
The titlebar color is configurable in System Settings > Appearance > Colors > Edit Scheme > Common Colors, down at the bottom of the list. You can also try out different color schemes as well as different Window Decorations (under Application Style) and see how they compare (there are plenty of user-created themes available via the Get New... buttons).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.