This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to customize KDE manually

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nanoone
Registered Member

How to customize KDE manually

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:30 pm
Hi everyone
I've seen lots of guys who made their kde look like the way they wanted
You know like writing scripts and creating personal themes
I really wanna do that but I don't know how
If someone can help me, I'd appreciate it :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: How to customize KDE manually

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:49 am
I don't use any scripts, just adapted it to the looks I prefer in the System Settings. You can edit Themes to some extend and save it under your own name. Make sure to save the Plasma session on logout, so nothing changes when you log back in again.

As for doing this by scripts, have a look at the various entries in the "Contributors Corner" section of the forum.

FWIW: your desktop is called Plasma, KDE is the name of our community.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
nanoone
Registered Member

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:28 am
Mamarok wrote:I don't use any scripts, just adapted it to the looks I prefer in the System Settings. You can edit Themes to some extend and save it under your own name. Make sure to save the Plasma session on logout, so nothing changes when you log back in again.

As for doing this by scripts, have a look at the various entries in the "Contributors Corner" section of the forum.

FWIW: your desktop is called Plasma, KDE is the name of our community.

Thanks but the main problem is that I don't know how to edit themes
I don't know how to configure them or create a new theme at all
nanoone
Registered Member

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:36 am
kashii wrote:spam content removed by moderator

Thanks but I don't get what you mean
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm
Go to System Settings -> Appearance and choose which part of a Theme you would want to modify. You can not edit the theme directly as a them is composed of several parts like Plasma Style, Application Style, Window Decorations, Color, etc, you can edit those individually though.Select the style, click on the pen in the lower right and modify what you want.
If you want to create your own style you should have a look at Kvantum which is a style editor: https://store.kde.org/p/1005410/
There are numerous entries in this forum, as well as on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/9 ... e_kvantum/

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...