This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to bind an activity to a virtual desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zbinkz
Registered Member
System info:
Debian 10 stable (kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64)
Plasma 5.14.5
KDE Frameworks 5.54.0
Qt 5.11.3

I'm trying to bind 3 activities to 3 virtual desktops. The widgets associated to either activity do not show with other activities as expected, and the same for open applications bound to specific activities. I also selected the option "Remember the current virtual desktop for each activity (needs restart)" in system settings. Restarted a couple of times too.

So far I have to switch activities manually every time I change virtual desktops. Is it possible to automatically associate an activity to a virtual desktop or did I misunderstand what that option means? Or is there a specific procedure one has to follow in order?
zbinkz
Registered Member
Forgot to mention I was working in KDE/openbox. After some tinkering I found out everything works as expected in KDE/Plasma but as soon as you switch to KDE/openbox the window activities settings are reset and it is not possible to recover them in new sessions. Guess I'll just have to stay in KDE/Plasma :)
gefagan
Registered Member
OS
zbinkz,

I don't have an answer but I just wanted to say thanks for posting. This is the feature I've been missing since KDE 5 dropped seperate widgets for desktops, and I didn't realize it was there.
gefagan
Registered Member
OS
I wrote:This is the feature I've been missing...

Seems I spoke too soon. The fabulous thing about desktops is the switching animation that creates an illusory spatial relationship, leverging the part of my brain that I inherited from foraging monkeys to keep track of where I put things. I especially like the cube. It's just a toy on its default keybind of Alt+F11, but bnd it to Alt+Z (or Alt+/ if you're a lefty) and set it to drop out after you release the mouse, and it's a workflow benefit. Applications can remember virtual desktops, but I need it to go the other way, where I can use the cube to switch activities.