This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual display configuration problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lucasc
Registered Member
OS

Dual display configuration problems

Sun May 10, 2020 2:07 am
Hi, folks.
I'm running KDE neon 5.18.5 on my notebook and I'm facing some problems regarding dual monitor display. Whenever the second screen is placed on up or left sides, the windows go berserk. Apps will open almost randomly, even with "active screen on mouse" option active. Also, when I unplug and replug HDMI cable, apps will randomly move to the second.
I always have the notebook screen as primary but the one and only think it seems to do is keeping panel here, and even then there are times they switch places.
Searching solutions I've seen a lot of users complaining about this issue, from years ago until recently. It seems it's a well known problem and even so it is not addressed.
There are any fix for this? I'm having to keep second monitor position on right to avoid this problems, but it's annoying since my screen is by my left... :|
Well, thank you very much for your time. Hope you can help me.
Good night. :)

Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-39
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you check it is not related to the HDMI cable? Those can be tricky beast sometimes, using Display Port instead.
The problem is almost never reproducible on the developers' setups, so solving a problem that can not be reproduced is quite hard... and many complaints never end up in a bug report where bugs belong to.

FWIW: I have two setups here, once with the laptop on the left, once with the laptop on the right, no problem in either one of those. Both external monitors are connected through Display Port, identical monitors for the external ones, different laptops, though.
One thing that did not go well was the laptop with the docking station: I had to connect the monitor to the laptop directly, it goes black through the docking station, but that is a completely different matter

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lucasc
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Did you check it is not related to the HDMI cable? Those can be tricky beast sometimes, using Display Port instead.
The problem is almost never reproducible on the developers' setups, so solving a problem that can not be reproduced is quite hard... and many complaints never end up in a bug report where bugs belong to.

FWIW: I have two setups here, once with the laptop on the left, once with the laptop on the right, no problem in either one of those. Both external monitors are connected through Display Port, identical monitors for the external ones, different laptops, though.
On thing that did not go well was the laptop with the docking station: I had to connect the monitor to the laptop directly, it goes black through the docking station, but that is a completely different matter

One thing I know is it's not related with the cable because on Mint Cinnamon it works flawless, and in KDE if I place monitor by right or underside there's no problem at all also. It seems if monitor ir by left or upperside, KDE reads it as the preferred one. I don't know how displays are numbered or sorted on system, so I'm really blind here.
Is there a way I could make a log of this? I could open a bug report if I knew how to gather more information about it.

Kubuntu 22.04
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you set the monitor you want to be the primary and save that configuration?
System Settings -> Hardware -> Display and Monitor -> Display Configuration

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lucasc
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Did you set the monitor you want to be the primary and save that configuration?
System Settings -> Hardware -> Display and Monitor -> Display Configuration

Yes, I did. Even creating a rule to all windows to be opened on screen nº 1, if the secondary screen is on top or left it don't work. Same with "open on active screen".

Kubuntu 22.04
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I switched position of my primary screen, no issues, on both laptops. I am a bit at odds on how to solve this as I can't reproduce it (no window rules btw here, just plain Monitor setting). I'll ask around

lucasc
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I switched position of my primary screen, no issues, on both laptops. I am a bit at odds on how to solve this as I can't reproduce it (no window rules btw here, just plain Monitor setting). I'll ask around

Creating a kwin rule to Ignore requested geometry initially and to open on screen 1 initially, plus Active screen follows mouse, I was able (at least until now) to "solve" the problem of apps opening on secondary screen.
But if I unplug and replug the cable (i.e. deactivating/activating screen 2), all windows already opened will move to secondary screen anyway, but just if it's positioned by left or up sides.

Kubuntu 22.04