This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing "Global Theme" using CLI or editing config files.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
janfishergg
Registered Member
Hello,

I want to be able to define destkop configuration by editing configuration files or script it in any way. This is to allow me to roll out the exact same settings to hundreds of computers as many times as necessary.

First step would be to change the Global Theme because I've noticed that it already includes things like Plasma Style (panel and start menu) and Colors(appearance of applications and panel and start menu again for some reason).

The reason I'm asking for help is because I can't figure a way to do this using "kwriteconfig5" tool. When I use it to change key "name" in group "Theme" in file "~/.config/plasmarc" only the panel and start menu change - all other settings like appearance of the applications stay the same.

There is a way to change the Global Theme using this command [1] but it only works if a Plasma Shell is running which is not good because I'll be doing unattended installs without initializing the Plasma Shell. Even if it was okay I still need to know how to figure out which key in which group in which file corresponds to which settings in System Settings because I will be setting up different settings like keyboard shortcuts, workspace behavior etc.

The major difficulty for me is that there is a configuration file syntax reference [2] but no key value pair mappings to settings reference. Therefore I don't know which configuration files (and how) I need to change to achieve equivalent action of clicking through the buttons in System Settings.

I recorded [3][4] videos to show what I mean. In the first video [3] I also mention that the default (fresh install) window decorations is blue, when I switch from default theme (Breeze) to another theme and then to default again the window decorations don't revert back to the default state (blue). I don't know all it entails but it definitely suggests that the settings are not stored only in the ~./config/plasmarc file which doesn't even exist on a fresh install yet.

My initial information about how to change these settings usin CLI were taken from this comment [5] but clearly the themes have to be stored somewhere else prior to the ~/.config/plasmarc file existing in addition to the fact that changing the value of the key "name" doesn't actually change the Global Theme - it only changes the panel and start menu. This is driving me nuts because I remember trying to figure out how to get a list of config file to System Settings settings mappings 2 years ago and I just gave up.

[1] lookandfeeltool -a [THEME_NAME]
[2] https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Adm ... tion_Files
[3] https://youtu.be/TyeeXDw-03A
[4] https://youtu.be/zSExEq3uDOc
[5] viewtopic.php?t=89523#p166676
cybernet
Registered Member
janfishergg
Registered Member
cybernet wrote:Have a look here Change look and feel ;D

I'm looking for a way that meets 2 requirements. It doesn't require plasma shell to be running and it's available via configuration file editing.