This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kvantum theme not being applied nor any other qt5 theme

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
The Little Big Web Dev
Registered Member
hello every one hope you having a great day
i stared using the kde plasma DE from not long ago and i have a basic experience with it now
now i think its important to address that i did the worst thing any one could do and is to change his DE (now i have reasons why i couldnt just install a distro with kde pre-installed and the most important one is my internet speed is like 50kbps so i had to go with an xfce installation and i cant redownload a distro with kde preinstalled cause its too large "to me")

and from the beginning i noticed some issues that i fixed manually (like the settings manager kept crashing when appling GTK2/3 themes so i've set them manually)

now the FINAL issue is qt5 themes , so i wanted transparency and i installed kvantum manager , i configured my theme (mcmojave light) with transparency and everything , and when i save the kvantum manager and the preview turned into the correct config i wanted , and now it was time to set the qt5 theme to kvantum , now i think thats as easy as going to the settings (system settings) and going to application style and set the theme to kvantum right ?
welllll that did nothing (blur is on in case that makes a difference)
i even tried to set the theme to any other theme in the list non even work (and i have restarted every time i set a theme just for good messures)
nothing happened , so i dont know what to do , is there any way to set it manually through config files ? or do i have to live with it

also dolphin has a black color in the files view(where folders and files show 'aka the work area')is that from qt5 ?

any help would be super great
thank yall
Mamarok
Manager
OS
some more information about your exact distribution and Plasma version would be helpful...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
The Little Big Web Dev
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:some more information about your exact distribution and Plasma version would be helpful...

I'm running kali linux light 2019.4 32 bit with task-kde-desktop version 3.59

Code: Select all
root@SxVkali:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
ID=kali
VERSION="2019.4"
VERSION_ID="2019.4"
VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling"
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="https://www.kali.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.kali.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.kali.org/"

Code: Select all
root@SxVkali:~# apt install task-kde-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
task-kde-desktop is already the newest version (3.59+kali1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 725 not upgraded.

and the system information in the system settings states this
Operating System: Kali GNU/Linux 2019.4
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
Qt Version: 5.12.5
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-kali2-686-pae
OS Type: 32-bit
Processors: 2 × AMD Athlon(tm)X2 DualCore QL-66
Memory: 3.6 GiB of RAM

edit: also one thing i noticed , all qt5 related packages on kali repos are version 5.12.5
Mamarok
Manager
OS
In Plasma 5.17.x you should have transparency, no need to install Kvantum. Of course assuming you have a fully installed Plasma, that is the first prerequisite. Even with a bad internet connection you should be able to get a distribution shipping Plasma using Ktorrent, it just needs time.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
The Little Big Web Dev
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:In Plasma 5.17.x you should have transparency, no need to install Kvantum. Of course assuming you have a fully installed Plasma, that is the first prerequisite. Even with a bad internet connection you should be able to get a distribution shipping Plasma using Ktorrent, it just needs time.

so what you are saying is to retransfer all my data and reinstall a distro with kde preinstalled and with the latest update ?
and that is the only solution ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No it is not, but you need to make sure you have everything installed that is needed, and that is definitely easier to do with a distribution shipping Plasma and the KDE applications.

The Little Big Web Dev
Registered Member
Hold on , i might have just figured it out , so i went to give it a second shot and, well i found out that a LOT of qt5 packages are missing ... yeah shouldn't have installed it on kali since it doesn't come with packages for kde in specific

so , i'm gonna install qt5-base and qt5-styleplugins and see what will happen
wish me luck