This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Virtual Desktop Grid Stopped working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jahuod
Registered Member
Hello,

I am having issues with the Virtual Desktop switching, which started when I tried to play Kerbal Space Program through Steam about a week ago. I have rebooted a few times since then but the problem hasn't changed.

- The upper left screen edge is set to show "Desktop Grid", and now does nothing when I mouse over it. The other screen edges still work (set to Application Launcher and Show Desktop) so I believe it's just a problem with the desktop grid.
- The virtual desktop is set to show the "Slide" animation when switching between desktops, but no longer does - it just instantly switches between desktops.
- In a few other places (like opening the Application launcher), KDE used to show a smooth animation but now the window just instantly appears.

I can still switch between desktops with ctrl-alt-arrow keys, and in the pager in the control panel, but I had grown pretty reliant on the Desktop Grid view for moving windows around between desktops.

Following the troubleshooting tips (https://userbase.kde.org/Troubleshooting), I created a new user and everything seemed to work fine there. Deleting the suggested files and rebooting did not fix things though.

Thanks for any help!

Version info:

Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.62.0
Qt Version: 5.12.4
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-62-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
jahuod
Registered Member
Finally decided to look back into it and found something that seems to work:

In ~/.config/kwinrc, I changed:

```
OpenGLIsUnsafe=true
```
to
```
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false
```

Not sure how this setting changed, but when I create a new user profile this is `true` for them.