This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to set default Leave/Log Out prefs for multiple users

Tags: session manangement, leave, logout, multiple users, default, default settings, skel session manangement, leave, logout, multiple users, default, default settings, skel session manangement, leave, logout, multiple users, default, default settings, skel
(comma "," separated)
jkurutz
Registered Member
Hi All.

I'm running CentOS 7 for a set of computers, each with over 100 user accounts, and I need to configure all their session management preferences so the default option for the "Leave" button is "End Session" instead of "Shutdown". How do I set that in /etc/skel, and what file should I copy or modify by script so each user's account has the right pref?

Short story: I run a chemical analysis lab at a university, and each user gets their own account on each of the instruments. I recently upgraded one of them to CentOS 7 using a disk image supplied by the analytical hardware manufacturer so the result would be specifically configured to support this particular hardware. After creating (by script) about 125 accounts, a couple of the users discovered that clicking "Leave" in the "Desktop" menu in the upper-right portion of the screen actually powers down the computer instead of just logging them out.

When logged in as an individual user, one can set one's own preference by going to "System Settings"..."Startup and Shutdown"...and selecting "End current session" for the Default Leave option. Surely that rewrites a specific file in the user's account. Which one? If I can locate that file, I can copy it to each user's home directory (with modifications if necessary).

How can I make this setting the default for a new user?

Is there a simpler way to set this preference for all users at once?

FYI, I'm a chemist with CentOS admin responsibilities, so I can kinda work my way around these systems, and know enough scripting to hack together some inelegant code that'll do a job, but I'm no computer scientist.

Thanks. - Josh