This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Internal 'System Settings' shortcuts block some key bindings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gregstrq
Registered Member
Hi, everyone.

I am trying to assign some shortcuts for navigation between virtual desktops.
To be specific, I would like to use Alt+W,A,S,D key bindings.

However, I only managed to assign Alt+W without any problems.
When I try to input Alt+S key binding, Export Shortcut Scheme windows pops up (This behaviour seems to specific to Global Shortcuts menu). In the case of Alt+A I get 'Choose Application - System Settings' window popping up.
And, when I try to input Alt+D, button 'Defaults' is highlighted by green but I still can not input the desired key binding.

Is there a way to disable this System Settings specific shortcuts?
May be there is some config file which I could butcher manually (So System Settings does not catch the key bindings I am trying to assign)?

If it is important, I am using KDE Plasma v. 5.19.3 and KDE Frameworks v. 5.72.0
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

There are two files you may inspect: ~/config/khotkeysrc and ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc.
In the first file you'll find your custom global shortcuts group/bindings. They look like
Code: Select all
[Data_4_2]
Comment=Comment
Enabled=true
Name=myshortcutsname
… more stuff …
[Data_4_2Triggers]
Comment=Simple_action
TriggersCount=1

[Data_4_2Triggers0]
Key=Alt+A
Type=SHORTCUT
Uuid={d70ff157-f76d-428c-835a-e9220f033fbd}

where you should have a look at the triggers. In my example, the last block contains the trigger using ALT+a as shortcut.

The second file contain the .desktop-file-shortcuts, audio mixer, krunner, KWin-stuff, etc. You may grep for 'Alt+A' to find a conflicting shortcut.

If you want to manually change this, you have to log out first and edit this using a virtual terminal (e.g. by pressing ctrl-alt-F3). If you want to do some tests, I'll recommend you a second user to play with first. If things are going ugly, have a look at debug-output from kglobalaccel, which is available with kdebugdialog5

good luck ;)

Last edited by koffeinfriedhof on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregstrq
Registered Member
Hi!

Many thanks, @koffeinfriedhof.
I did not found the conflicting shortcuts in files you mentioned.
So, in the end, I simply changed the kwin shortcuts for Desktop navigation directly in the file ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc.
(Of course, I made a copy just in case).

For now, it seems to be working as expected.