This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Numeric keypad problem

Tags: numeric, keypad, number, keys numeric, keypad, number, keys numeric, keypad, number, keys
(comma "," separated)
bgroper
Registered Member

Numeric keypad problem

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 am
Hi Forum
I'm using CentOS8 with KDE Plasma 5.18.4
Recently I been having some bother with the numeric keypad.
NumLock is on by default.
Most applications work fine, except some selected KDE apps, such as kwrite and konsole which I use a lot.
Firefox, and LibreOffice in KDE work fine.
In kwrite and konsole, the numeric keys are working as arrow keys.
Please, is there some KDE setting that I should tweak or nuke to get this working as intended.
BTW, the terminal app (Gnome terminal) launched within KDE works fine.
Also, just to test, I created a new user, and the same KDE problem exits for the new user too.
So I'm thinking something is broken in the KDE setup, not just my user profile.

I also try, System Settings, Hardware, Input Devices, Keyboard, Hardware Tab :
I cannot type any numbers from the numeric pad in the Test Area, but the numbers in the regular part of keyboard work fine.
Numlock is turned on.
I've tried using Advanced, Miscellaneous compatibility options,
- Default numeric keypad keys
- Num Lock on: digits, Shift for arrow keys, etc
Still cannot get the number keys to work in the GUI.
If I login to cli (without any GUI) then the number keys work fine, so I'm not suspecting any keyboard hardware error just yet.
TIA's for any tips or clues.

I'm not a complete idiot. There's still a few pieces missing.
stevelipinski
Registered Member

Re: Numeric keypad problem

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:25 pm
I am encountering the exact same.
Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Have tried with multiple different keyboards - same result.

Works in "raw" terminal, or in some non-KDE applications (chromium, VSCode), but numpad will not work as numbers no matter what in Konsole, Konqueror, etc. It always only works in "cursor" mode, regardless of NumLock state.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Try this: System Settings -> Hardware -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Miscellaneous compatibility options -> Num Lock on: Digits... (as in WIndows)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bgroper
Registered Member

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:54 am
Mamarok wrote:Try this: System Settings -> Hardware -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Miscellaneous compatibility options -> Num Lock on: Digits... (as in WIndows)

Thx for suggestion.
Sadly, BTDT, without any success.

I'm not a complete idiot. There's still a few pieces missing.
stevelipinski
Registered Member

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:28 pm
I should add (although maybe not relevant) - I'm using a laptop with n external keyboard connected. The laptop does not have a separate keypad on the keyboard, but the external USB keyboard does. Maybe that's a contributing factor, I dunno.
stevelipinski
Registered Member

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:28 pm
If this helps any...
I did find that holding Shift while pressing the numpad keys makes it behave correctly (with digits), however with one exception. Shift-0 performs a paste operation.
mpiotr
Registered Member

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:09 am
Exactly the same problem: none of KDE applications (Konsole, Kwrite, Kcalc) do not treat numeric keyboard correctly, all the other applications do. The Miscellaneous compatibility options do not help.
CentOS 8 , KDE Plasma 5.18.4
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 am
I think I will file a bug, as I just connected a relatively new Cherry MX-Board 3.0 and the Numpad is totally unresponsive.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am
OK, so I tried a few things, and I think this is basically a problem somewhere in the Xorg stack. I strongly suggest you all report this to your distributions. It is definitely NOT a KDE problem, as it also happens in non KDE-apps for me, the number/arrow keys of the numpad don't work, only the operands, insert and dot/delete do. This happens with two different 105-key keyboards, both work well under Windows.

koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:41 pm
Hi!

You could try to add the keypad as an option if it doesnt work as expected. Example:
Code: Select all
# for the international us layout with AltGr on a european keyboard and keypad-support using numbers on activated numlock:
setxkbmap us altgr-intl pc105 keypad:legacy

This is only a temporary setting! Available Keypad-Options are listed with localectl list-x11-keymap-options and defined in /usr/[local]/share/X11/xkb/symbols/keypad.

As most systems use systemd these days you can easily make it permanent with root-permissions:
sudo localectl set-x11-keymap us pc105 altgr-intl keypad:legacy

Notice the different model-position as localectl uses
LAYOUT [MODEL [VARIANT [OPTIONS]]]
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:19 pm
Upgrading my system from Kubuntu 20.04 to the upcoming 20.10 beta did the trick, now all my keyboards work again without problems.

Minas
Registered Member

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:41 pm
I'm on CentOS 8 and attempting to rebuild qt5-qtbase packages on copr, following the info here https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1868371
Minas
Registered Member

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:26 am
I have rebuilt qt5-qtbase for Centos 8
https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud. ... t5-qtbase/
emcp
Registered Member

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:22 pm
What worked for me in 20.04 Kubuntu was to follow the input device instructions.. but instead of windows compatibility.. choose

`Numeric keypad always enters digits (as in macOS)`

This may be because I use a Mac magic keyboard
chaurasiyag
Registered Member

Mon May 30, 2022 12:32 pm
You can also check that this box is unchecked.
Accessibility » Mouse Navigation » Use number pad to move cursor