This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to enable standard menu bar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
klazz
Registered Member

How to enable standard menu bar?

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:53 pm
Every application window since I switched to plasma... I THINK... has been missing the menu bar... File Edit View AllThatGoodStuff

Now all I have is a hamburger button with the menus arranged vertically in that.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
ctrl-m

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
klazz
Registered Member
SUMMARY:
Hmmmm. Unfortauntely Ctrl-m seems to be a shortcut that most applications use and no menu bar is appearing on any application... it just does nothing or executes the application shortcut. None of the below has helped either.
-----------------------------------------
PART A
From stackexchg:
"Go to System settings -> Application style -> Widget style -> Fine tuning, and change the Menubar style to something different than what's specified there."
- source: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/605126/how-to-enable-standard-horizontal-window-menu-bar-in-kde-plasma

1. For some reason, I have no "Widget Style" module BUT I do have a "Breeze Widget Style". However, it does not contain any Fine Tuning or mention of menus.

PART B
From this topic:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=151072

Here's what I have in my Window Decorations:

PART C
So I went to the bug report which describes my exact problem:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390177

and the last comment is:
"I'm guessing this is not too much of a priority."

PART D
Curious: Veracrypt has a menu bar but other applications like LibreOffice do not.

CONCLUSION:

Any suggestions?
I'll have to go back to XFCE which is terrible because I'm loving Plasma other than the serious technical issues. There are some other bizarre bugs like 100% CPU usage and system module windows taking a long time to open, or not opening at all.
klazz
Registered Member
Window Decorations settings module ->click Titelbar Buttons tab and remove the hamburger button from titlebar.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You seem to have the Global Menu feature enabled, have a look at the System Settings:
In System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Background Services, uncheck the "Application menus daemon" then log out and back into Plasma again

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
klazz
Registered Member

Re: How to enable standard menu bar?

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 pm
Mamarok wrote:You seem to have the Global Menu feature enabled, have a look at the System Settings:
In System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Background Services, uncheck the "Application menus daemon" then log out and back into Plasma again

I can't believe it. That's it yes! Thank you!
I probably got that set when I was doing my flurry of customizations just after migrating to my current distro.

A needle in a haystack, I really would have never found it without you because people kept telling me about control panels I don't have and shortcuts which didn't work.

Application menus daemon. Brutal ;D
buggy
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:You seem to have the Global Menu feature enabled, have a look at the System Settings:

Thanks a lot! I also had this problem, and this is the only place I found the solution!
johnnyrico
Registered Member
@Mamarok Thank you! That was the solution!

I have just a question: Why was this enabled automatically?

I have this OS with KDE for at least 1 year and I spotted this "issue" only 1-2 weeks ago ... Probably after an apt upgrade ... Or maybe installing appmenu-gtk3-module triggerred this service to start automatically?

Thank you.
usmc
Registered Member
Mamarok,
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
I am fairly new to Linux and choose Manjaro for my Linux flavor and as a 50+ year old tinkerer, I have really enjoyed learning Linux and wish I had made the plunge 20 years ago. I love the freedom from Windows!
However my need to tinker, really gets me into trouble often and somehow I managed to create this exact problem and I have seriously been searching for a remedy for freaking months. Seriously!!
I also use my computer for my one person consulting business and it has been a struggle at times when I screw something up because of work deadlines and what not. Which leads me to loose more of what little hair I have.
I wish I could send you flowers! But this will have to do I guess.💐
Thank you so much!
FYI, I am on Plasma 5.20
autarchprinceps
Registered Member

Re: How to enable standard menu bar?

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:32 pm
Hmm, I have the exact same issue. Activated global menu bar, disliked it, deleted it again, and now the applications have no menu whatsoever. Disabling the daemon and restarting hasn't got them back either. Is there no setting menu=global or menu=app anywhere?
chaosprevails
Registered Member

Hi Mamarok, thanks so much for this, I searched far, and long to understand why Ctrl+M didn't work on my laptop.

However, unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem of using the global menu in a multi-monitor setup:
I'm using KDE Plasma 5.24.6 (Kubuntu 22.04), and I have the global menu configured with https://github.com/psifidotos/applet-window-appmenu/. I just installed it, and it seems to work just fine! However, I will not have a standard menu bar on windows which are not on my main screen. I could configure more panel(s) on the other monitor(s) just for the global menu, but I'm often switching between different setups with 2-3 monitors. So I was looking for a way to quickly enable/show the menu bar whenever I need it on one of my other non-primary monitors. However, the "application menu daemon" is preventing that the shortcut Ctrl+M works. If I disable the daemon, the global menu stops working ... Is there any way to have both? Show the menu bar inside the panel on my primary screen for all maximized windows, and show the menubar whenever I need it with a keyboard shortcut on windows other screens?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sadly no, you can't have it both ways.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
chaosprevails
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Sadly no, you can't have it both ways.

Thanks.
I don't fully understand the technical details why you cannot show the menu bar (by shortcut) when the global menu is activated, but I'm trying to find the right place to ask whether this is something which can be done, or whether there is a configuration change which would enable that.

Would the best approach be to change the "Application menus daemon" background service? Is this added as part of the global menu plasmoid, or is this part of KDE by default? If this background service comes with the global menu plasmoid, I would assume this is something easier to change (if that is technically possible)?