This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kubuntu / Appletouch: How to make it usable on 2006 MBP?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
uglystuff
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I’m new to fhis forum, though I’ve used Kubuntu off and on over the years. I’ve also tried KDE with other distros, but my question of the day regards Kubuntu on an early 2006 MacBook Pro, model 1,1, the one with the Core Duo that’s limited to 32-bit software, thus forcing me to install Kubuntu 18.04.

My problem : on this Mac, i have what Apple calls an TrackPad, and the go-to Linux driver seems to be Appletouch in that case. Thing is, contrarily to other distros i’ve tested on this machine, all of them based on XFCE (to the exception of Peppermint, that uses both XFCE and LXDE), with Kubuntu, one-finger scrolling, pointer precision and one-finger right-click using the bottom right corner of the Trackpad are all things i can’t have or set the way i want them.

As things stand, my Trackpad is almost unusable : the pointer acts erratically, scrolling up and down web pages is choppy, at best, and the two-finger right-click works pretty much when it wants to, not when I would like it to…

I think that’s a bit too much for my taste, and it completely ruins my end-user experience. That’s a shame, because KDE really has improved over the years, and is very pleasant to use, even on my modest machine, with a 1.83GHz Core Duo CPU, 2GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD (only 40GB set for Linux use, the rest belongs to Snow Leopard), with no swap.

This darn touchpad makes my life miserable, and it makes me want to go back to Linux Lite or Xubuntu, both on which it perform flawlessly.

There must be a way to borrow drivers and/or config files from those two to solve my problem in Kubuntu, right ?

Right ?