This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Greek special character not working Kubuntu 20.04 LTS

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Toni_K
Registered Member
Dear all,
I hope I am on topic here.
After a clean Installation of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS (previous version 19.04 with limited support)
I am facing the problem described below In all Kubuntu applications (where I have to type In Greek language) like Kate, LibreOffice etc.
Only exceptions are the web browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. There everything works fine.
I am using a Lenovo x230 laptop with British keyboard. The British keyboard was never before a problem and i believe not here i s the case.
Environment languages are First the US English and second the Greek Simple.
The problem Is that I cannot type the most important Greek special character (accent) : tonos (')
e.g. I cannot type the word καλός but instead I come up with the word καλ'ος.
We type the special character need to be shown above the letters by pressing first the :; key next to L and then the specific letter we want to have the special character combined.
The result Is that I cannot practically use edit or create a descent document or note etc. In Greek language.
I did first a lot of searching through forums or other resources.
Many similar problems but referring to other distros and very old versions.
I tried also a lot of combinations regarding Regional settings and keyboard layouts but with no success.
I hope there Is a solution out there simple or hard
Thanks for your attention!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you report this to Kubuntu? This very much looks like a bug to me, I guess it did work before, didn't int?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Toni_K
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Did you report this to Kubuntu? This very much looks like a bug to me, I guess it did work before, didn't int?

Hello, thank you for your response!
I did not reported this yet,
To be honest I am not sure how to do that.
Never had any serious issues with distros during the years and most of my problems solved after a little search through forums and communities.
I just realized the problem and this Is the first time I cannot find a solution without asking help
In my previous version 19.04 everything worked fine, the only reason I decided to clean install the LTS version was the end of support.
I just wanted to see If everyone else had a similar problem.
I am not sure if i did something wrong during the installation but I don't think so.

regards

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-47-generic
OS Type: 64-bit

Last edited by Toni_K on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toni_K
Registered Member
Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-47-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can open the Menu and type
Code: Select all
ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-input-evdev
in the search field, this should get the bug report application started. Make sure to select the option "regression"

I assume the problem is in evdev as that is the driver that should handle they keyboard layouts

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Toni_K
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:You can open the Menu and type
Code: Select all
ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-input-evdev
in the search field, this should get the bug report application started. Make sure to select the option "regression"

I assume the problem is in evdev as that is the driver that should handle they keyboard layouts

I will report this issue asap
thank you again for help!